Sad day for the Don and Mike show

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by evilernie, Jul 11, 2005.

1. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Maybe I'm the only one here that listens to Don and Mike, but today's show brought some really sad news.

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=541586

Wife of Radio Personality Killed in Accident in Ocean City
    Updated: Monday, Jul. 11, 2005 - 5:10 PM

OCEAN CITY, Md. - Freda Wright-Sorce, the wife of radio personality Don Geronimo and a frequent contributor to the popular nationally syndicated "Don and Mike" show, died in a traffic accident Sunday.
    Wright-Sorce, 50, often called in to the comedy show on Washington radio station WJFK known for its outlandish humor and pranks, said Michael Hughes, the station's general manager.

State police said her vehicle was struck head-on Sunday afternoon by a vehicle that crossed the median on Route 90 in an attempt to avoid a pile-up. She died later Sunday at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, hospital spokeswoman Cindy Rivers said.

The pile-up temporarily closed westbound Route 90, state police said.

Hughes said Geronimo was spending time with their son on Monday. The remaining members of the show announce the death on the show Monday afternoon.

Co-host Mike O'Meara told listeners that Wright-Sorce was the "conscience of this show."

"It would always be Freda who would be the great arbiter of what would be done on the show," O'Meara said. "If we were going down a road where we would be going too far, she would call in and say 'what are you doing?"'

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Sad, I always liked Freda.

Feel sorry for her husband and son.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

its always sad when someone dies and many time the media is covering different things( hurriance Denis and London attacks)

sorry for the family too

4. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

I've never listened to the show either, but my condolences to the family.

This can be construed as being insensitive, I hope you did not mean it the way it sounds/reads. The hurricane and bombing took lives as well.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

6. CAM macrumors newbie

That's truly awful. I feel terrible for her family and friends.

I've never heard this show, but I hope maybe they can take some time to help get the message out about highway safety. Granted, I don't know all the details of the pile-up, or what options the driver who hit her had. Chances are, though, that all of this could have been easily avoided. I hope all of us who drive will take a little more time, and be a little more cautious out there.

7. AnewMac macrumors regular

I use to listen to the show all the time during college. That show was always interesting, what a terrible tragic loss. My prayers go out to them and their family.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I used to listen to them on WAVA. They were pretty good. I remember her calling in to tone them back some.