sad day in computer-land

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jhu, Aug 18, 2004.

1. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Hopefully this will be good news for Apple's Xserve and Raid. Although they are going to continue to sell then untill 2006 and support them till 2011.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You really have to wonder who's still using these things....I remember using DEC Alphas way back when....damn, the Alphas replaced the VAX :D And ran VMS. OK, I was going to say this was not that big a deal, but wow, now that I think of it, its the end of an age....

I remember back in 92 at JPL walking down a hallway and seeing a DEC Vector Analyzer (or something like that) used to specifically process arrays of numbers. It was all hardware and had been replaced by a single computer using software. Oh, and the thing was the size of a medium sized cabinet :D They were giving it to anyone who'd move it for them.

Long live DEC! DEC is dead...

D

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

5. jhu thread starter macrumors 6502a

jhu

actually, they live on in athlon and p4. i'm not sure what parts of the alpha design might be lurking in the itanium though.

6. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

7. jhu thread starter macrumors 6502a

jhu

i wouldn't say it's based on alpha since intel acquired the alpha portion of dec 3 years ago whereas itanium has been in development for much longer than that. of course, intel won't really say what parts of any processor is influenced by alpha.