<sad> i killed a computer </sad>

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by janey, Aug 18, 2004.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

Heheh, I spilled coke on a P3 I had (please no windows bashing, I had gentoo on there), and it just died. I thought I only spilled a little bit on the case when my cup tipped over and cleaned that up, it was only after I saw my alternate nick ping out on IRC that I noticed it died.
    I'm waiting for it to dry before I do anything..
    Anyone have any tips as to what I should do to see if it still works or anything?

If not I'd have to pinch a little here and there from my PowerBook G5 fund to pay for a new Athlon 64 PC I've been wanting to get for a while..not that I would mind :D

2. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Ooo, that sucks. Doesn't matter what platform or architecture - unintentionally killing a computer is no fun.

I would just let it sit for a while and then try to see if it works.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Build a computer. Its fun and cheap, and athalon 64 bits are around 150 for the card.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything, but I can't understand where people get the spelling 'Athalon' from. The closest English word I can think of is 'athlete,' which doesn't have an A in the middle of it, so why do people put an extra A in Athlon? To top things off, Safari's spellchecker just told me that I had misspelt Athlon, and offered to change it to Ethanol. :rolleyes:

Getting back on topic, probably the best hope of getting the computer working again will be to clean any parts that the Coke ended up on, preferably with distilled water. Then let it dry thoroughly before turning it back on. One more thing to watch out for (and you probably already know this) is that the computer is still 'on' when it's plugged in, regardless of whether the power light is on. Physically unplug the power cable to turn it off completely (and it might even help to remove the internal battery).

5. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

it works! it dried!

cheers for the advice :)
    my gentoo box works again..:D
    no athlon 64 tho hehe.

6. iostream.h macrumors regular

I did something similar:

My teacher got rid of the only Mac in the school (which I was using) because it didn't have MS word and was therefore incapable of making any sort of text documents (because MACS suck, obviously). So I went on the PC and thought I clicked on NotePad but it turned out to be the Command prompt. And I'm a pretty good spuller but I accidently misspelled "The Grapes of Wrath": "delete /*.*". Woops lol.

7. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

ROFLMAO gj lol.

i hate people who believe those myths about Macs...

8. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

what an... erm.. *unfortunate* series of events :rolleyes:.
    good job man!

9. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

uh.. ?

Don't they use backslashes ('\'), and to get to the root you have to do C:\ right?

10. EminenceGrise macrumors member

I usually (mis)spell the 'Grapes of Wrath' as "del C:\*.* /F /S /Q" myself.... ;)

11. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

too bad our school disabled the command prompt on the computers(as a result of me and others teaching everyone how to net send doesn tgo over well especially when u net send to a teaches machine while its being projected ;) )

12. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

roflmao.
    I remember i took an intro to computers class (omg easiest **** ever...i was the epitome of a slacker, yet got the highest grade in the class) to fulfill one of the prereqs for a programming class i wanted to take and later took for ****s and giggles... one of the more 1337 guys in that class who had the same problem as me proceeded to mess with all the n00bs in the comp labs by using netsend, sending them messages like `YOUR COMPUTER IS NOW INFECTED WITH X VIRUS PLEASE SHUTDOWN` blah blah. Funniest thing evar. Met the guy at Defcon a month later, we had a fun time talking about that :)

13. enclave macrumors member

I think the command you REALLY want is format c: /q

Takes a few mere seconds and it's ALL gone.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Oh yes... netsend is very fun, especially with the wildcard symbol.

Sends the message to everyone on your LAN.

"net send * You have been haxxored"

hehe, a friend of mine got in big trouble at school for sending a net send accross the LAN that said '**** Missy Elliott' and on the top of the sent dialogue it says 'Message from <machine name>" so it was easily traced to him. Had to apologize to about 10 different teachers and was banned from the computers for a week (that's much worse than having to apologize ;) ).

But, yeah, net send is fun :).

scem0

edit - oh and another tip for students who want to keep teachers from viewing what they are doing on their computers and from 'taking the computer over'. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then just ignore me. But if you know what I'm talking about then:

in command prompt type

ip_config /release_all

to release your ip address, subnet mask, etc (everything is reset to 0.0.0.0)

unfortunately you won't be able to use the internet, but your computer won't be taken over.

you can then get your connection back by typing:

ip_config /renew_all

I think those are forward slashes - a summer away from pestering teachers does weird things to you. ;)

15. kerb macrumors regular

reminds me of the time I programmed a "virus" in BASIC in high school

when executed in DOS it would send messages to every machine on the network on an infinite loop

locked up everything

was funny :p

16. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

At my old school, which was based on Novell, had a shared start menu on an open network drive that no one was smart enough to lock down. As a result of this i threw a blinking flash file that just opened up and simply said 0wn4g3!...

After that, I had to start using my own laptop at school with no internet access because all my privledges were taken away... Ahhh.. to be a few years younger again and be able to pull off stupid pranks :p

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

On networks based around Novell there's a neat little menu just for sending messages...what fun I had during physics! :cool:

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

19. iostream.h macrumors regular

yeah I told you I wasn't a good spuller. But this was a while ago and I know I misspelled it with the other kind of slash.