Sad that Mac OS X 10.5 is not stealing Vista Thunder.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by durvivor, Jan 29, 2007.

1. durvivor macrumors member

I'm sad that Apple didn't get Mac OS 10.5 out the door today, or this week in order to steal Vista's thunder.

I was hoping so much to hear that announcement at MWSF, but it wasn't announced.

How cool would it have been if all the Vista news items coming out today all said "Vista catches up with Mac OS X 10.4, but Apple has stolen Microsoft thunder by releasing Mac OS X 10.5 that raises the bar higher than Vista can reach."

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Leopard would've been swamped by the press covering Vista. 95% of the world's computer owners don't give a rat's arse about Leopard and Vista is the biggest software release in terms of sales and coverage.

Apple are smart to not to try and compete with that level of interest, in pure software terms, Leopard ranks behind Vista, Office 2007 and probably Creative Suite 3 and if Apple really want the most press coverage they'll wait until the buzz from Vista has died down and a few stories of bugs/viruses are emerging. It's then that Apple will throw Leopard onto the pages of the technology sections as people scour them looking at the stories of things going funny with Vista.

Leopard couldn't even hope to steal Vista's thunder. We on the Mac forums are excited about it but remember Apple only have about a 4% worldwide market share - they need to time their releases so that they can get the most column space in the papers, if they released with Vista they'd be relegated to a small sidebar on the third page. Wait a few months and they'll get the whole front page.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't want 10.5 rushed out to steal press from Vista...seeing how Tiger Vistax10 I'm fine with Apple making 10.5 that much better

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What makes you think today is the 'optimum' date to for the counter-attack? Just curious.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u think too much, vista is an OS developed for 7 years, and windows is dominating the market, even if apple release osx10.5 and 10.6 together, thunder will still be vista's. its market, its business.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Like everyone else, I think it would be best for them to make sure Leopard is tested and not rushed, and release it after the Vista rush has calmed down, saying "Look, Microsoft is playing catch-up to our last major release, Tiger, and today we're announcing Leopard, which has [insert cool new features that Vista doesn't have here]." :D

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Let Microsoft have their moment of glory ........... then let the Leopard strike.

Sorry Microsoft, you are two years behind Apple ....AGAIN!!!!!

FJ:p

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Vista has no thunder. Except for the hype MS has paid for, Vista's thunder is more of a firecracker. Also, the majority of the business trade journals I frequent are about 2:1 anti-Vista.

9. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I can safely report that at our BBY store, about 6-8 Vista machines have crashed with about 2-3 bluescreens already :eek: Some of are higher end, Core 2 Duo 5600, 2GB ram, Nvidia 7600 units run dog slow with Vista....

Its gonna be a bumpy ride. i feel bad for everybody starting today...the launch of it...

On a brighter note, BBY has a Windows Vista Ultimate: Bill Gates, Limited Edition numbered pack :cool:

10. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Sorry Lads, but that's not thunder, sounded more like a wet fart to me!

11. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

You've obviously missed all the articles pointing out how Vista is an inferior knockoff of OS X. Apple's actually getting some decent free publicity out of the Vista release. Who knew?

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/16555680.htm
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800670
    http://video.on.nytimes.com/ifr_mai...958df4x11071d9e3f5x792f&rdm=522079.8203000111

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You mean a squirt?

13. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

It's like you read my mind, Chundles

Dead right. Also, bear in mind that this time round, the scepticism of Microsoft's products is much higher in the mainstream press than it's ever been. The BBC are running a rather unconvinced evaluation of Vista. The media seems to be identifying the hype for what it is. No harm for Apple if they don't release Leopard for a few months yet, since in all honesty, Microsoft's market position probably wouldn't wobble even if Apple released OS XI direct from the future, delivered via a time-travelling DeLorean sometime last week.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, for a ppl never tried Vista, I think its over reach for u to make judgment.

Business? lol, they are always the last to adopt the new system, when XP came out, they were anti-xp, pro-2k too. who cares. wait for a month, look at sales figure, then lets talk. now? too rush, no matter how much u dislike it.

15. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Hmm.

I think measuring sales of Vista is an astonishingly naive way to measure how well it is liked or how much of an advancement it is (to me, 'thunder' means how much better it is than its predecessor, as well as how positive its reception is).

The number of copies installed and the userbase will be astronomical. This isn't surprising since it will be already installed on every PC sold. How much the public actually want Vista can only really be estimated by looking at retail upgrades sold and if there's a spike in PC purchases. The number of users is irrelevant, since they'll be getting Vista whether they specifically want it or not.

As an Apple user, the only way Vista could possibly affect me is if the availability of Vista leads to a decimation of Mac sales. If, behind Vista's 'thunder', there are features that beat OS X along with PC hardware that appeals to people who'd otherwise buy a Mac, then I'd say it rivals the Mac. Until that's the case, Vista's pretty irrelevant to me.

edit: as for businesses... my department will be actively replacing any copies of Vista we receive with Windows XP under our volume licence. If and when we have the time, we'll may re-certify our applications on Vista. The chances are, significant development time will be required to migrate several of our critical applications to Vista. One or two may be thrown out and re-written from scratch. Then, we'll have to budget for user training. All this takes a lot of time, effort and money which will have to be justified to the Board who won't buy the 'but it's *newer*!' reason. Unless we can tell the powers that be that moving to Vista will save £x, it'll only happen grudgingly.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sales is the final judge. :D

as for business, my school is evaluating the Vista, seems they will massive adopt it soon, togeher with office 07.

17. Padraig macrumors 6502a

This is interesting.

From Cult of Mac,

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been running Vista on a quad-Xeon Mac Pro. Click the link to see how it’s working out.

The Mac Pro is a very fast and capable OS X machine, but it’s an even faster Windows Vista machine.

Vista really flies on this beast, and feels like it’s faster than OS X – it boots faster, folders burst open and apps launch instantly.

(The Mac Pro has two dual-core 2.66GHz Xeon chips; 3GBs of RAM; and a medium-range NVidia GeForce 7300 GT graphics card)

I’m especially delighted with Vista’s “glass” Aero interface, which works in all its glory on this machine.

The OS is dark and handsome. It’s really quite exciting. Like the Zune’s interface, it's artfully done. The beautifully-rendered shadow effects and transparency give Vista a greater “depth” than OS X, which looks a little flat and well… old fashioned in comparison. I know this is because Vista’s new and novel, but it makes OS X look dated.

There’s a bunch of interface features I wish Apple would copy. Vista’s widgets, called “Gadgets,” are always on top – a vast improvement over having to hit a hotkey to see them.

Vista’s icons are big and colorful, and frankly, a lot more logical and easy to read than some of OS X’s, like the intelligible iWeb icon.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

windows need to be run for a month to see the speed. Brand new windows is always faster.

That being said, i do feel OSX has a slower pace in doing anything other than startup. lol. not very much, almost feels like an attitude, "using OSX is a casual lifestyle", casual means "no rush".

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

same here at my school. I was talking with IT guy for one of the departements here at my school along with one of the IT guys from another department on campus and both stated they started the evaluation of Vista back in late Nov early Dec and are in the process to get things switch over to it.
    Under contract they are required to support the latest things from M$ and vista happens to be one of them.

Right now they are predicting mid semester it will be released to the students for the normal dirt cheap to free and it going to be either ultimated or Business that is put in our hands (I leaning toward ultimate seeing how the school has historically given us the highest stuff from M$. We are all running the top version of Office pro and all the students computers are supposed to be on at least OSX 10.3 or XP pro. Sadly Apple is not willing to work with the school on getting the students free-dirt cheap copies of their software.

Vista I am thinking for a hard copy of it is going to run me about 10-15 bucks. Very nice deal for a 200+ piece of software. Now it is just a waiting game for it to be released.

20. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Again, I'd respectfully disagree. Define 'sale'. If you'd care to follow Microsoft's various licensing schemes and OEM deals, you'd know that all sales are not of equal worth. Microsoft makes less $$ on an individual pre-install on a consumer Dell laptop than it does from a retail purchase.

It will be interesting to find out what percentage of existing XP users have decided to upgrade to Vista compared to the percentage of existing Tiger users who've bought Leopard, a year after each OS's release.

Your example contradicts your original assertion which seemed to be that businesses shouldn't be considered because they'll take ages to move to Vista. Besides, educational establishments can't really be grouped with commercial businesses. If I were to rush through a move to Vista without proper diligence, I could be responsible for hundreds of thousands of pounds (£) worth of losses and penalty charges for my company. I will not be able to explain that away by saying that Vista is newer and better and should be used because of that.

Our brief at the moment is to be aware of what problems Vista will cause us and have a method in place for a transition once we're no longer able to licence new copies of XP. Evaluation of Vista since the first CTP release (and all since) has shown that there is zero benefit in Vista to our business. There is no new technology in Vista that can improve our services. What interesting elements there are (WCF, for example) are available on Windows XP (and even Windows 2000) with the .NET Framework 3.0.

(edited: I originally and incorrectly wrote .NET Framework '2.0' when I meant '3.0' (which used to be called WinFX)

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Why shovel buckets of cash onto a pile-o-poo in an effort to cover it up?

Just wait a few weeks for people to get tired of the smell (should be some sort of problem fest with Vista) and then offer to sell them some air freshener.

22. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Vista, like all Windoze systems is ......... errr, Crap.

Mac's rock.

FJ

23. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

this will generate a lot of thunder in the microsoft bank account.... BASIC starts at $199, Ultimate is $399. Why don't they simplify their own tech support life and offer everyone the same one? And... that's a LOT of money, you can buy a new piece o dell for that much and have it installed... but then again, that bottom model won't be able to run it. that's the other joke of the thunder, most people that need to upgrade don't have a machine that can handle all the cool stuff.

Kudos to M$ though for the cooler, 3D, glossy look to it, XP looks heinous. This does at least look decent... but, looks can be deceiving.

24. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I can understand their points. I was a Vista basher, until I honestly tried it for a few weeks. Once it is up and running (finished indexing the hdd and such), it really flies. Also, the UI is slick, and most of the features in it are intuitive and easy to use.

Back to the OP's point. Maybe some columnists would write articles with titles like the one that you made up; however, 90%+ of the computer users in the U.S. would not care very much.