Saddam: American's tortured me

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Piarco, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

2. retasi macrumors member

Hussein says Americans beat him

In an extended courtroom outburst, Saddam Hussein charged today that he was "beaten on every part of my body and marks are still on top of my body and that was done by Americans." Hussein said all seven of his co-defendants were beaten and tortured by Americans. One of the co-defendants, he said, was beaten with the butt of a rifle "until he fell down." Christopher Reid, a spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, denied Hussein's charges.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's a shame.. but it's cool that I gassed the kurds.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is a huge problem here with credibility... well, first, Mr. Hussein doesn't really have much with Americans. :( But second, there are all these people who "categorically deny" the claims, and call them "absolutely bogus." And of course the claims will turn out to be substantially true. And then, whether or not those officers of the government have any responsibility to Mr. Hussein or anyone else with regards to engaging in torture, they lied to the American people, but are not held accountable. That's unacceptable. This is becoming the pattern of the war in Iraq. It's not the first time it's been done, of course, but people in the current administration seem to not even bat an eyelash when they lie about politically relevant topics.

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I'll state the obvious. If his statements are factual, they are a black mark on the moral credibility of the sovereign power of the United States.
    Also, the very fact that this "man" has the audacity to invoke some kind of public sympathy for himself is beneath contempt.
    Death is too good for Saddam, he must be locked up in the deepest darkest hole of a prison that exists and be fed by a deaf mute.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Normally, I'd be sceptical to such a statement from him, and probably just disregard it outright.... but considering how pro-torture some seem to be, I'm not really sure what to believe.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Our President wanted to Torture thats very clear from the way his statements have been worded. Glad we had McCain for this one but we all know our president is capable of doing pretty much whatever he wants in secret. Did we torture Saddam? I doubt it but again our president was for torture until forced to give it up. Did he give it up? no he just says we dont torture. My guess is he is having another group or country do the torture. So its plausable that we let someone else torture Saddam or may have done it ourself.
    All of this wont mean much because Iraq is going the way of Iran with its Shiite majority. Get ready for the next Islamic Theocracy brought to the world by the U.S. When its all said and done my guess is we will be wishing Saddam was still running things there.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The sad thing is that we should all be laughing at the insanity of Saddam claiming to be tortured by Americans. But due to our willingness to torture others, Saddam's claim has an iota of merit.

Just thing, if Bush hadn't authorized torture for others no one would be paying this any attention...

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me neither.

10. tristan macrumors 6502a

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Funny how this wasn't mentioned to the Red Cross on the number of times they visited him in captivity...

Contemptible grandstanding by a manipulator of the highest order.

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Americans don't torture their prisoners! :mad:

It's not like we don't pile prisoners on top of one another, put garbage bags over their faces and take pictures of them naked. Nor do we have secret prisons or hold 'suspects' indefinitely without trial or lawyers.

Again, Americans torturing prisoners? BS!

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Exactly. If nothing else Saddam is an opportunist. The Bush administration manufactured this opportunity.

14. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Who cares.

This war is not a war against Saddam, WMD, etc. This is a war over natural resources. It's a war over putting our people in place in countries that have the largest reserves of oil and natural gas. The US govt has to have some excuse to go in and take control. The public facing agenda, apologies by the President, etc are just PR moves to try and soften the American citizen's view on what is going on. There is nothing new going on in this "war" than what happens in the rest of the World. America is acting in its best interests by securing and controlling access to these natural resources. Some may not agree with it, I might not agree with it all, but that's the way it is. Bush is simply carrying out policy decisions that have been in the making for decades. Since America now controls Afghanistan and Iraq hence controlling their natural resources, more control and authority can be exerted in these regions of the World. Saudi is already in America's pocket, Iran is next. Look at the big picture, Saddam crying over petty things like is nothing. Its not even news. Forget the public PR side of this whole thing and focus on the natural resource war that is being fought and will continue to be fought. Look, everyone has each other by the balls. America is just better at taking more control from the others and gaining more control over time. There is no threat from anyone to America. China is no threat, Russia is no threat. America as a country will do what it wants when it wants with no repercussions. Who is there to tell America what it can and can't do. Who out there is in the position to tell the American govt no. I'm not agreeing with it all, I'm just stating facts. Check it out for yourself.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No one country can stand against us, but we're doing a pretty good job of creating blocs of countries that might be able to stand against us eventually.

And don't forget, it's easy to say no one can touch us now, but in 30 - 40 years China will have risen much farther than they have today.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If strategists have learned anything from this adventure it is that this plan has failed. The US does not control Afghanistan and it does not control Iraq. And any dream of invading and securing the bigger prizes, Iran and Saudi Arabia, has been revealed as wholely unrealistic. The US military/economy simply isn't powerful enough for those jobs.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yep, he's probably lying. But thanks to our Gov. and their screw ups, we actually now think it may be possible. We're supposed to be better than that, to prove that we can still treat the worst of us as a human being with the right to a fair trial. To keep them safe from the cruelty they themselves inflicted upon innocent people. Because we're supposed to be better. More civilised.

I guess I was just being naive.