Saddam case? Nevermind...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Jan 8, 2007.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Court drops charges against Saddam

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070108/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What, they couldn't do a "Weekend at Bernie's" -- dig him up, prop him up 'n' stuff? :D

They blew their chance to hang him again. After all, it was a crowd-pleaser the first time.

Maybe they could even preserve the body and take him on tour. Saddam hangings, every night at 8, with matinees on weekends.

3. calculus Guest

calculus

One of the things that concerns me about Saddam's execution before this trial is that he may have given evidence supporting the defence of the others on trial. I realise that this might look like wet liberal nonsense, but all trials ought to be seen to be 'fair'.

4. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This is just simply terrible. It highlights that the understanding that the US was never pursuing anything like truth or justice or trying to deal with the issues that divide Iraq. It was about killing the man who tried to kill GWB's daddy. It's been about vengance.

By discontinuing the trial, it sends the message that nothing else that Saddam did matters and that the only thing that does matter is that he's dead. It doesn't seem to me to be a sensible choice in any effort to build a country out of Iraq. In fact, by sweeping Saddam under the rug, it seems to me to be a strong statement for disolving the country.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As I said before, justice is now denied to everyone else Saddam had killed outside of Dujail.

6. shunpike macrumors regular

1. Are You sick? 2. Good point

that is sick - sure he was an evil man - yes he killed thousands of people - but is that an excuse to go and laugh at the idea of repeatedly hanging him for public amusement -- have you even thought of:
    1. The Political Fall-out?
    2. The Ethical and Moral questions this raises?
    3. The sectarian violence that this would undoubtedly cause?
    Also - if you're going to say ohh it was a joke- don't u have a sense of humour? Well -- i do have a sense of humour but using a corpse a prop in a twisted theatrical performance is in no way funny or that appropriate for this discussion ... its a politics and current affairs thread not a thread to tell sick jokes about events that are causing people to die.

^^^^^^^^^^​
    Well said, its appalling that he hasn't been tried for all charges bought against him - and I fear that in executing him now and not trying him for all his crimes we will see a rise in sectarian violence in Iraq

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe it's just because i'm familiar with the poster and his style, but to me it looked like a healthy dose of sarcasm. heck, satire, too.

8. toontra macrumors 6502

I for one found found Thomas Veil's post very apt and, yes, very funny. Saddam's first trial was a farce, his execution was a farce, the cancellation of this second trial is a farce. In those circumstances his humorous proposals are entirely within context.

BTW, have you heard of satire - it has quite a long and distinguished history in the field of politics.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

He wouldn't live long enough to sit through all the trials and charges lined up against him and no one wanted him to die of old age.

Military and social policies can't be driven by what people may or may not do after justice is served. His top leutenants are next and I'm sure we'll cap Sadr and his thuggy army before we leave too.

For those of us that have lived and worked in the Middle East watching innocent people suffer under these dictators and Islamo-thugs while al-Qaida trained and stockpiled weapons without the UN doing a damned thing, this is a breath of fresh air. I can't wait until we clean up the rest of the stench over there.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He wasn't in any danger of dying of old age anytime soon. That's just a red herring.

Maybe you worded this poorly, but you leave the impression that you think Sadr and Saddam are part of the same group of thugs.

Also, the people of Iraq would have been far better served by seeing Saddam answer for, if not all, at least most of his crimes. Think Truth and Reconciliation Councils.

Why is it our job to clean up the stench? Are we the world's police all of a sudden?

And I don't recall al Qaeda training and stockpiling weapons in Iraq prior to March 2003. Do you? Perhaps you could provide some proof of this?

11. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Thuggie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggie

So, what stench is next in your book?

And also, Saddam's execution falls under military and social policy? That seems like a startling admission.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Three questions:

1) How many Americans will have to die for that?

2) What's been cleaned up?

3) Since you're so gung-ho, when are you enlisting?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think i'd respect your position more of you simply said, "i'm not ready for the age of oil to end and i want cheap gas for myself and children".

but this misplaced sense of humanity and justice reeks of self-deception.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Would have been better than having him die as a martyr without letting him be tried for at least a few other crimes.

You've alluded to this before, saying that you've been through this over there. But again, what does Al Qaida have to do with Saddam. You're the expert, so you must know they had nothing to do with each other. And how have we made things better? Seems to me we've actually made things worse. Which is no small feat, given how bad a guy Saddam was.

Do you support how badly this war has been waged?

Well, we've done such a bang up job of it already.