"Saddam chose to deny inspectors"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know this happened a week or so ago (10 days to be exact) but Joe Conason's take on it is always worth the time to read.

Salon.com

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It was just stupid for Saddam to do this, It was even more stupid for Bush to take us into Iraq. 2 Bumbs who both dont deserve the time of day.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The point is that he did not exclude the Inspectors.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, it's an attempt to rewrite history to the Republic's favor. Remember how many Republics were up in arms over Clinton's lies? If only they could muster half the indignation they had on display then...

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thank you, skunk. Conason is pointing out how Bush continues to LIE about the Iraqi war and hardly anyone in the Press will call him on it. This is how some people still believe Saddam was tied to the 9/11 attacks. This is a policy based on the big lie propaganda technique and we see it repeated day in and day out without nary a peep from the fourth estate. Thought that might be worth reading about - again.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just out of curiosity, if Saddam is responsible because he denied the inspectors, does Bush bear any responsibility for denying any evidence contrary to his theory that Iraq was on the verge of producing nu-cu-lar weapons?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

???
    I refer you to my post above...:confused:

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Lesson One in RoveWorld: The President is never responsible for anything. He works hard, because it's hard work, but he never is wrong or responsible for anything.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm.... does smoking weed interfere with your ability to detect rhetorical questions? :p

10. toontra macrumors 6502

So many lies were told in the run-up to war that most of them have never been re-visited or anyone held accountable. Anyone remember Blair saying "If Saddam gives up his WMD he can stay in power" a few weeks before invading, before the inspectors had completed their work.

Saddam completely out-bluffed the US by doing the one thing they thought he would never do - allow full and unfettered access to the weapons inspectors. That forced the invasion. The US could not afford to wait and have the possibility (probability) that their public excuse for war be pulled from under them.

The fact that Bush continues to peddle this nonsense shows how removed from reality he is. Maybe he thinks no-one notices these slight of hands, or that no-one cares.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice.....er.....um......won't get fooled again.

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Ah, I love Bushisms...one of the few things I like about the current president, lol.

Here's a good site for them:

http://www.slate.com/id/76886/ :p

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is the Pope a fundamentalist?

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, remember that for a while he did toss the inspectors out of the country, but let them in again under threats from the U.S. What this unfortunately did was to allow Bush to use a grain of truth around which to build an enormous lie.

What was really ridiculous about this lie is that, with weapons inspectors running around everywhere in Iraq and finding nothing, Bush was hollering, "Despite my warnings, Saddam refuses to stop building WMD; therefore we will have no choice but to invade." The gulf between reality and what Bush was claiming was a hundred miles wide and a hundred miles deep.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Except that thanks to the poor planning of the war and the subsequent failures in the aftermath of the invasion, and the fact that people are impatient after having been lied to about how easy this was going to be, people are asking questions. What's funny though, is even the people who do believe there were links to Al Qaida and that he was hiding WMDs are still angry because of how the war itself is going. If they had done a better job, people probably wouldn't have been asking as many questions. As more time goes by more questions are asked and more people are getting fed up.

New evidence keeps coming out showing that the war had already been planned prior to what they were saying about "alternatives" to combat.