Saddam 'has suffered a stroke'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 30, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wonder why this hasn't been more widely reported...

link

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, obvious jokes about poetic justice and why couldn't it happen to Bush aside...(oh, I forgot the conspiracy to silence one...)

I hope he is given quick and appropriate treatment as he waits to stand trial. To do otherwise for political or potential security reasons seems overly callous. Also awaiting verification of extent of his injuries befor further comments.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Uhhhh, the Iraqi interim govt. has legal control but as far as I know he is still under US physical control and for that matter I don't even think he is in Iraq.

I wouldn't be surprised if his health was "allowed" to deteriorate, Rummy could be awfully embarrassed by SH, assuming that is that SH is still sane, something I questioned even before the war began.

4. Colirio macrumors newbie

Well, I for one would rather see him healthy enough to stand trial and be convicted of those crimes. I think it could do a lot for the people of Iraq to be able to see some legal justice for the attrocities he commited against them.

Of course, I still have my doubts about whether or not he will even be convicted. He's been a thorn in the side of not just the US but the whole world including the UN for more than a decade now. He's like a cockroach that just can't be squashed...

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm waiting for the Limbaugh angle:

Hollywood liberal elite hold candlelight vigil, sing "Get well Saddam."

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

7. Bobcat37 macrumors member

So which celebrities were there? Oh wait... you were kidding? :(

(Just kiddin, even though I like Rush, that was pretty damn funny pseudobrit)

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would hope that he remains healthy to show the crimes that he committed; but also the crimes that Bush and Company have committed in his name.

IMO Bush and Company are are just as much war criminals as any other despot.

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Still unconfirmed, if he did have a stroke it's in Allawi's best interest to keep him alive since he is essentially being used as a hostage to deter Baathist insurgents.

A confirmed report about Saddam's health did come out a few days ago that says he has a severe prostate infection, it kind of sounds like an untreated STD. Saddam is being said to be reluctant to take antibiotics. If Saddam had untreated syphilis for a while it would explain a lot of his behavior :p

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking the sam. Didn't recent reports state that Lenin also have Syphilis?

11. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

and napoleon.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Wouldn't be hillarious if Saddam died and robbed Bush of his revenge? What would the repercussions of that be?

14. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Hmmm, not really. Maybe we just have different sense of humor. Personally, when Saddam dies, however it happens, I'll be happy (and I would imagine Bush will be too). I think it is hard to guess what the repercussion will be no matter if Saddam dies naturally or is put to death.

However, along those same lines, I agree with Colirio. I would rather have him tried and convicted of his crimes in Iraq by the Iraqi people, and then let them kill him (or whatever they decide). I just hope that isn't months/years away as some predict.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as long as the trial doesn't get a 'theatre' where the penalty and guilt is written down before the trial starts

a formaly correct and democratic trial on that scale will easily take months/years

"the mills of justice grind slowly, but thoroughly" (i hope the point of that proverb got through translation)

personal comment:
    life time penalty would be the right thing (i'm no fan of death penalty, that would be just like the regime which got replaced) in my opinion

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

omg... just woke up from a nap, read your post and thought "lenin had syphilis and napolean?"

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"The wheels of justice grind exceeding slow" I believe is correct... :)

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

thanks
    i hate it so much when a german expression comes to my mind and i completly fail to translate it...
    i have buy a "popular proverbs translated into english" book some day ;)

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Believe it or not, it's a paraphrase of Euripides...

20. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

and Nero
    Here are more people who had it.

21. Bobcat37 macrumors member

That is a lot of friggin people o_O

I think that rules out it being the root cause of megalomania though, skunk. According to that even Mozart, Abe Lincoln, Edgar Allen Poe, and others might have had it!

However, I admit there is still a strange pattern of tyrants having it. Hitler, Napoleon, Lenin, Stalin, Ivan the Terrible? Hehehe.

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Dare I say it?...

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, well, we've all thought it I'm sure but syphilis only leads to megalomania when it is untreated, I'm sure that a man in his position would have to be tested for everything under the sun and presumably treated for it.

24. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

and i just actually laughed out loud. thanks :)

you don't know how close i came...

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe we need our leaders tested and published for their STD status?