Saddam Hussein Arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wardofsky, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Just read on BBC.co.uk...
    Let's see what happens as time passes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/3317429.stm

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

We caught Saddam!!!!

Holy cow, they are announcing that we caught Saddam.

Sorry if someone else is posting this at the same time.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is amazing. I posted this same thing in the political forums. Sorry for the double post.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow. Whilst I think that the war was a bad idea I have to say that this is a positive development. He should be made to answer for his crimes.

6. iGav macrumors G3

they need to be able to positively ID him, otherwise we could end up with a Eminem situation what with all his stunt doubles knocking around!

Will the real Slim Shady.... please stand up??? :eek: :p :p :p

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

A defense analysist on Sky news said that he was picked up yesterday afternoon and that they have already gone a bloodtest and it is indeed him. Official press conference 55 minutes.

8. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Oh man. I was planning on getting those 25 million.

9. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I'm reading that they have matched his scars and DNA... that's some stunt double!

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They're showing footage of him on channel 4 NOW! Looks like they realy have got him! :eek:

[​IMG]

11. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

I watched the press conference via satellite feed, it's weird, it reminded me of waiting for a MacWorld broadcast...

The General Sanchez fellow didn't seem to know much when he was being question such as;
    "That is not yet dertermined"
    "We will interrogate him until we get our information"

He gave us the jist of what they were doing without telling us what they were doing...

I missed a Jazz documentary because of the press conference :p

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I for one think they should just kill him and be done with it. IMO as long as he is alive there will be those who want to free him, and will go to extraordinary lengths (hostage takings etc) to accomplish this task.

13. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Then he will become a marter, they should put him in an Iraq court and let the people decide what to do.

I personally think they should put him on show somewhere for a bit so people can shout at him etc. But I expect it is against some international law or something.

14. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

And make him a martyr? Just put him back in that hole and put bars over it. Make him seem like a normal person, not the all-powerful man he made himself out to be.

Didn't see hvfsl's post.

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Hasta la vista baby...

Tomorrow it will be notified that he is outside Iraq, unknown place and ready to be processed....;) ... good for those in Iraq who can live better now...

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

- hvfsl & Wes

How would him being killed by 'us' make him a martyr?
    It wouldn't be like he is sacrificing himself for his cause. It'd be him being killed by others for his crimes. He wouldn't be choosing death, it'd be falsed upon him.

17. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

If you kill him it's a lesson he'll never remember... he's dead.
    If you put him in jail he'll suffer for what he's done in the past.

I don't think I could personally kill someone or give the order to do so, imprison him I think is my preference...

And give him some community work.

18. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think he should be tried as planned, but he shouldn't get off like every other tyrant in history, who just got house arrest... They should let the Iraqi people prosecute him, and decide his fate.

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The thing is, he doesn't care about what he's done. He isn't just someone we can 'rehabilitate' and let out into the world again. If he could kill more of his opponents, he would. The thing is, if he dies, then you'll have his followers going crazy, attacking the US Military and innocent Iraqis that oppose Saddam. If he lives, though, those same supporters of Saddam will keep on fighting to save him. I think the thing to do is let the Iraqis deal with him.

20. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yeah we could have Dictator Idol, he would have to sing for his life every week.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is fantastic news, i was for George going in and getting this bastard child and they did it, im sorry it has taken over 400 of our servicemen lives to catch this killer dictator It has been the right thing to do no matter what all the democrats have been trying to Spin. Maybe this will shut up Howard Dean for a while. After all he had changed his tune and said he opposed the war. im sure he will have a new spin;) Anyways way to go American Troops! way to go George Bush!:D

22. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

They may have caught the dictator, but there's still the problem of fixing the country...
    They need to get their priorities straight, the can't install democracy when there is still no power, or either when people are still dying; Iraqi, American, British, Italian, Spanish and Australian

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a major step in fixing the country, as long as he was running around there would always be doubt for those thousands and thousands of families whom he had killed family members. This needed to be done a long time ago. I noticed old Jacque the Chirac was one of the first to come out and say this was good news but where the heck was he when we wanted to go in? I cant wait to hear all the double talk from the Democratic Party on this. George has removed another issue from them. Now he just has to get Bin Laden and then we need to do something about that Crazy N. Korean. Its just a shame there are so many appeasers in the world. Im Glad our President is not a Appeaser.!