Saddam to be hanged within 30 days

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dllavaneras, Dec 26, 2006.

1. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Complete story

What do you think? Do you approve a death penalty or don't think he should be hanged?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We should have left Saddam in power, Oh well.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

An eye for an eye. His two are nothing compared to the thousands he's commanded into death.

Hanging is a bit pre-historic though. We shouldn't glorify his death, he should be quietly injected behind the scenes.

Edit: just heard that it will be done in secret. Good.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. At least they aren't going to drag it out for 20 years of appeals like there do here in the states.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All his death is going to do is stir up the Sunni's.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but in the US, it'll placate the bloodthirsty (as already evidenced in this thread).

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

He should have been tried by the International Court at The Hague. No death sentence, plus less 'incentive' for Civil War violence in Iraq - if that's possible.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Once he swings, the track record for Sunni reaction and retaliation would indicate yet another uprising which will not soon go away. It's another reason which will illustrate why the death penalty doesn't solve anything.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Death is a deterrent, prison isn't. He had thousands killed. He wasn't even repentant - he pleaded not guilty and appealed! He obviously is guilty.

We can't keep ***** footing around, it may cause civil strife in Iraq, but at least the court will have done the right and legal thing (showing a legal system that democratically works) and both sides will respect the iraqi court.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe. But somehow I don't think that court's legitimacy would have been accepted — let alone recognised — in Iraq, let alone Washington. ;)

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, I think Bush knew this and is why they insisted on him being tried in Iraq. Like it or not this man ran this country and some of his advice while sitting in prison for life could have helped this country. Like anything else Bush'co has handled this one is a Big mess. How many more Americans must die in Iraq while a guy named Osama is roaming around somewhere else?

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein is a repugnant individual. But I don't agree with the death penalty.

Also, do you honestly think that the trial was 'fair?' I suspect that the entire spectacle was 'run' from Washington. Let us not forget about the utter coincidence of the verdict being announced just before the US Mid-terms.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This is a theory which has been debated for decades and has yet to be proved or accepted as fact.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

huh? when saddam was running iraq, do you think it ever entered his mind that he should do something different because of a possible penalty ruling in a court of law?

is bush making his decisions based on going to prison instead of facing the gallows? is blair?

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

When and if he dies, Bush can finally say he accomplished what he set out to do. Not that the sacrifice of thousands upon thousands in this war was in anyway justified to accomplish this end, but vengeance seems to be a very large part of the President's make up. Now, if he dies, do we finally get to bring the troops home, or are we still a prisoner to that other trait of Dubya - his inability to admit he did anything wrong? My guess is the latter.

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    This court holds no authority in my eyes. This court was set up to put Saddam Hussein to death. The United States should have allowed legitimate international decisions to have been made regarding Iraq in general, and in particular in this case should have referred his crimes to the United Nations.

The death penalty is just a nicer way of saying premeditated murder. It's wrong no matter who is committing it.

Bush himself has ordered for hundreds of executions in the United States of his own citizens, the same crime for which Hussein is being executed in Iraq, the country he is still the president of, as I don't recall there ever being a treaty signed where he admitted defeat? And although we call them AIF (Anti Iraqi Forces) or insurgents against Iraq, some Iraqis are fighting US interests and are largely prevailing, or at the least it's a standstill. If we say that no these are actually detractors of the Iraqi government and country they would have already toppled the very weak government in place.

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

What if Saddam became President of the United States? Hmm...

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wait a minute...we talkin' Saddam or Bush??

We have a dictator, thank you. :D

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

21. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

There are no martyrs in prison though. All martyrs are dead, usually killed by the percieved enemy :(

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

shall we assume that saddam's execution will be just in time for bush's state of the union address?

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

There's a lot of things to be hung within 30 days...

Including dirty laundry and yucky underwear during the State of Union eh? :eek:

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Was Saddams trial fair or was it a circus? how many judges and lawyers didnt finish this one? how can you get fair trials when your lawyers and judges are missing?

Bush will be beating his chest afterwards spinning this as a great triumph in his war. I wonder who created more terrorists Saddam or Bush?

25. Queso macrumors G4

The death penalty is always wrong. The leadership of any country that advocates it are criminals themselves.

George invented a war to settle personal scores. He's a spoilt child with no regard for anyone other than himself, and Saddam will hang simply because it's what George wants.

The two of them are cut from the same cloth. They should both rot in gaol until they die.