Saddam's half brother behdead after hanging

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Jan 15, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16633276/
    now look back at the blood and wound on saddam body's neck.

listened to NPR, shiit gov said its "act of god", "divine intervention".

what kind of bs is that?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The first thing I spotted was the blood on Saddam. I actually watched the er... 'full' version. :eek:

3. Queso macrumors G4

Funny how whenever humans do acts to each other they're ashamed of, they all blame god. :rolleyes:

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

If there was no God, there would be no war.

Just my opinion from a non-believer.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Nah. We'd just find something else to fight about. It's all about territory really. We're still just apes at heart.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The way I heard it, the execution team allowed way too much slack in the rope. They had enough to drop him down eight feet from the platform. Their rationale was they wanted to make sure his neck snapped instantaneously, so as not to prolong the death. Fine, but apparently these people didn't know what they were doing. You can strangle someone six inches off the floor, or course. I don't know how much length it would take to snap someone's neck instantly, but I imagine a couple of feet or so. With eight feet of rope, the velocity of this guy's fall was enough to sever his head from his body. Yeccch.

7. calculus Guest

calculus

I've always felt this to be true - "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -- Steven Weinberg

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

wait a sec. by that rational there is a God. so how can you still be a non-believer?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, we know all right: it's in the US Army manual on military executions, plain as day. For a man his age, weight, height and fitness, it should have been 5'7". Really. They should either RTFM or consult the experts.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's rationale, and anyway, by that rationale you only need two believers to have a war. Funnily enough, you don't even need two gods. One is enough to cause mayhem.

However, as dynamicv says, both gods and believers are entirely optional in warfare.

11. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

hanging can cut the head off?
    first time in history!
    I don't believe that bs from iraqi gov.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Happens all the time. Think of it: eight-foot drop. The whole idea is to break the neck, not strangle.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Popping the head off is an all-to-common side effect of execution by hanging.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Hanging explained

Hanging is a brutal art. Too much slack and you decapitate the hangee, too little and you don't snap their neck and they will strangle to death instead. I still think the Guillotine was one of the better state execution methods...

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

Maybe R. doesn't believe in warfare.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Maybe not, but his statement was...

If there was no God, there would be no war.

so due to the fact there is war, there is a god. according to that statement.

I dont happen to agree with that, but thats what it says.

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Territory, resources and power. Religion just confuses the participants into believing that they're doing it for a valiant reason.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All through history we have seen one belief system fight another but the root of the problem is CONTROL. Man wants to control others through god & religion. Control,Power,Status......and allways $$$. Religion makes it happen. Just look at Iraq today. Everybody wants to rule the world. (edit) look at George and how religion has been used to put him in power. The man is the farthest thing from a christian I have ever seen.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

clearly, the meaning is: if there were no belief in god, there would be no war.

just like we don't fight wars over santa claus and the easter bunny.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. I was just about to post an article from The NYT, but antzyman beat me to it with something similar.

Is there anything as grisly as a drop table, a chart which shows you how much rope you need for the prisoner's height and weight?

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The study of wound ballistics. I'm not even hunting for a link.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Clearly you've forgotten about the War on Christmas v2004, 5, and 6. And I hear there's a war on Easter brewing as well.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It makes perfect sense when you think about it, but honest to God, I never once in my life considered the existence of such a thing.

It's not exactly on my radar. Despite my curmudgeonly attitude, I like to focus on happier things than weapons and death chambers.

Although I do recall once attending a lecture that described the cockamamie paths some bullets take when they pass through the human body. Naive me, until then I thought they all pretty much followed a straight line.