Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74) update

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by j33pd0g, May 15, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

In your Software Update: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74)

This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves how Safari validates the authenticity of websites that use SSL certificates.

Now to check to see if my web banking works now.

2. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74) update

Mine does. Already checked, and things are MUCH smoother. :)

3. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

4. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

hmm...i wasnt really expecting this. its still a beta.

5. macrumors 68000

pivo6

I just saw it at VersionTracker and I see that someone has already mentioned it. I'm downloading now (dial up). I have no idea what this version is supposed to do.

6. macrumors 68000

pivo6

Re: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74) update

Web banking for me started with Beta 2. I've had noreal problems with previous versions and I don't expect any.

7. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

In the immortal words of Flava Flav:

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, booooooyyeeeeeee"

9. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

TMA

Not for me it's not

Nothing in my Software Update :( I hope this isn't another "US First" release. Getting kinda tired of Apple neglecting 50% of their users. But that's a whole other topic and I don't want to be a troll :cool: . Looking forward to trying it!

10. Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

I guess they've changed more than just this, but i would suspect the main (only?) reason they've made this update public is due to a vulnerability with SSL certificates that was posted on the Full Disclosure list.

http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-May/009661.html

11. macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i don't notice a difference, except that i cant remove the brushed metal surface like i could with the previous versions. i dotn really like the brushed metal w/ safari.

12. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Re: Not for me it's not

U.S. First is a common marketing strategy in the US as a meand to conserve capital by doing the "main" version first get it working and five time for bugs to be reported (or for movie discribution costs to be recouped) then release a far more bug free international version since the warranty costs are much higher.

I sympathize with you but take Apple's side on this one. I will admit "warranty costs" might be lower with all server based distribution but am not sure about that.

Rocketman

Heavy European Customers

[​IMG]

13. macrumors newbie

I D/L'd it about 20 mins ago via Software Update, and I'm in the UK at the moment.

14. macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm so sick of Safari updates not showing up in Software Update for me. Am I the only one? I have never ever seen Safari show up there and this time is no exception. Guess I go to Apple and download it. Bastards.

15. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-man says.....I bet you moved it out of the Applications folder didn't you....if you put it back in there and try S.U. again you'll probably see it.....oh yeah!

16. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

TMA

Re: Re: Not for me it's not

Must just be something fishy on my mac. Maybe it needs a good scrubbing and hoovering of moth balls ;)

On the issue of 'US First' marketing strategy - I can agree with what folks say, but I personally believe Apple have not found a good balance between costs and risk of alienating users. I think Apple should be prepared to spend more cash and even time delivering products Internationally.

17. macrumors newbie

I downloaded it with no problem from the software update.

18. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Not for me it's not

Yeah, I did. I don't usually move Apple apps from where they are installed for this very reason but when you install Safari it just opens up a disk image and has you copy it to your hard drive. So I assumed there wasn't a default folder on the drive for it. I mean if there was wouldn't Apple create an installer instead. Oh, well. I downloaded it from Apple and isntalled it.

19. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

The only thing I don't like about Safari updates is that I have to remove brushed metal every time.
    Yeah you can. I just did. All you have to do is go to Safari:Contents:Resources:English.lproj:Broswer.nib and then click on the window icon in the Browser.nib window. Then use Command+shift+I and uncheck textured window.

20. macrumors member

I'm in the US and don't see it in software update either. Anyone have a link?

21. macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

Safari not in SU?

Are you guys sure you have the safari.app in your applications folder?? don't think software update will recognise it if it's not there..

also to add to the US-first topic: seems like the SU works very well in Finland too.... and it's not a state of the states..;)

oh and check www.versiontracker.com for updates..

22. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

TMA

If you navigate Apple's site you can download it like you could with the first release. Versiontracker also link to Apple's site

23. macrumors newbie

The download on the Apple Safari site is actually the correct one, even though they don't explicitly state it.

24. macrumors 6502a

Don't complain :) Give apple some time :)

25. macrumors regular

Woo-Hoo, my banking finally works. Time to dump Internet Explorer in the pooper.