Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
In your Software Update: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74)

This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves how Safari validates the authenticity of websites that use SSL certificates.

Now to check to see if my web banking works now.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Re: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74) update

Originally posted by j33pd0g

This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves how Safari validates the authenticity of websites that use SSL certificates.

Mine does. Already checked, and things are MUCH smoother. :)

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I just saw it at VersionTracker and I see that someone has already mentioned it. I'm downloading now (dial up). I have no idea what this version is supposed to do.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Re: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74) update

Originally posted by j33pd0g

Web banking for me started with Beta 2. I've had noreal problems with previous versions and I don't expect any.

E

evilfunkgenius

In the immortal words of Flava Flav:

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, booooooyyeeeeeee"

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Not for me it's not

Nothing in my Software Update :( I hope this isn't another "US First" release. Getting kinda tired of Apple neglecting 50% of their users. But that's a whole other topic and I don't want to be a troll :cool: . Looking forward to trying it!

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Originally posted by pivo6
I just saw it at VersionTracker and I see that someone has already mentioned it. I'm downloading now (dial up). I have no idea what this version is supposed to do.

I guess they've changed more than just this, but i would suspect the main (only?) reason they've made this update public is due to a vulnerability with SSL certificates that was posted on the Full Disclosure list.

http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-May/009661.html

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i don't notice a difference, except that i cant remove the brushed metal surface like i could with the previous versions. i dotn really like the brushed metal w/ safari.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Not for me it's not

Originally posted by TMA
Nothing in my Software Update :( I hope this isn't another "US First" release. Getting kinda tired of Apple neglecting 50% of their users. But that's a whole other topic and I don't want to be a troll :cool: . Looking forward to trying it!

and

"A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard."

U.S. First is a common marketing strategy in the US as a meand to conserve capital by doing the "main" version first get it working and five time for bugs to be reported (or for movie discribution costs to be recouped) then release a far more bug free international version since the warranty costs are much higher.

I sympathize with you but take Apple's side on this one. I will admit "warranty costs" might be lower with all server based distribution but am not sure about that.

Rocketman

Heavy European Customers

zigi

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2003

Originally posted by TMA

I D/L'd it about 20 mins ago via Software Update, and I'm in the UK at the moment.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM

Originally posted by TMA
Nothing in my Software Update
Duff-man says.....I bet you moved it out of the Applications folder didn't you....if you put it back in there and try S.U. again you'll probably see it.....oh yeah!

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Re: Re: Not for me it's not

Originally posted by zigi
I D/L'd it about 20 mins ago via Software Update, and I'm in the UK at the moment.

Must just be something fishy on my mac. Maybe it needs a good scrubbing and hoovering of moth balls ;)

On the issue of 'US First' marketing strategy - I can agree with what folks say, but I personally believe Apple have not found a good balance between costs and risk of alienating users. I think Apple should be prepared to spend more cash and even time delivering products Internationally.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Not for me it's not

Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-man says.....I bet you moved it out of the Applications folder didn't you....if you put it back in there and try S.U. again you'll probably see it.....oh yeah!

Yeah, I did. I don't usually move Apple apps from where they are installed for this very reason but when you install Safari it just opens up a disk image and has you copy it to your hard drive. So I assumed there wasn't a default folder on the drive for it. I mean if there was wouldn't Apple create an installer instead. Oh, well. I downloaded it from Apple and isntalled it.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
The only thing I don't like about Safari updates is that I have to remove brushed metal every time.
Originally posted by beez7777
i don't notice a difference, except that i cant remove the brushed metal surface like i could with the previous versions. i dotn really like the brushed metal w/ safari.
Yeah you can. I just did. All you have to do is go to Safari:Contents:Resources:English.lproj:Broswer.nib and then click on the window icon in the Browser.nib window. Then use Command+shift+I and uncheck textured window.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Safari not in SU?

Are you guys sure you have the safari.app in your applications folder?? don't think software update will recognise it if it's not there..

also to add to the US-first topic: seems like the SU works very well in Finland too.... and it's not a state of the states..;)

oh and check www.versiontracker.com for updates..

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Originally posted by Fredo Viola
I'm in the US and don't see it in software update either. Anyone have a link?

If you navigate Apple's site you can download it like you could with the first release. Versiontracker also link to Apple's site

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC

Originally posted by TMA

Don't complain :) Give apple some time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.