Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safari-icon-250x250.jpg
Apple today released a developer beta of Safari 10 for OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan users, allowing those who don't yet wish to install macOS Sierra to test out the upcoming Safari update.

The Safari 10 beta for Yosemite and El Capitan can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center.

Safari 10 for Yosemite and El Capitan does not include all of the same features available in macOS Sierra, like Apple Pay on the web and Picture in Picture support, but a limited number of Safari 10 functions are available, as listed below:

- New Bookmarks sidebar, including double-click to focus in on a folder
- Redesigned Bookmarks and History views
- Site-specific zoom
- Improved AutoFill from your Contacts card
- Reader improvements
- HTML5 and legacy Plug-ins
- Allow reopening of recently closed tabs
- Back closing spawned tabs
- Improved ranking of Frequently Visited Sites
- Web Inspector Timelines Tab
- Debugging using Web Inspector

With OS X El Capitan, Safari 10 supports Safari Extensions and the development of Safari App Extensions, allowing developers to start creating extensions that will eventually be sold through the Mac App Store. Also unique to El Capitan is Spotlight suggestions for Top Hits.

Safari 10 is currently limited to developers, but will be available to public beta testers as part of macOS Sierra this July. The web browser will see an official public release this fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 10 Developer Beta for OS X Yosemite and El Capitan

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
Not a paying but registered "developer" (...since forever) and able to download the beta. Nice.

Edit: Dang! It doesn't let me install the beta. Ok then... :(

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not a paying but registered "developer" (...since forever) and able to download the beta. Nice.

Edit: Dang! It doesn't let me install the beta. Ok then... :(

Yah, same here. I thought I snuck past the gate when I found the download package under 'See more downloads', but my computer failed to validate. :p

Reactions: flowsy

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Looks like clicking the "Safari Extensions..." in the Safari Menu now takes you to a "test" section of the Mac App Store. I guess they're moving the extensions there?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
There wasn't one for mavericks.

So this is a clear indication that mavericks will no longer be supported once Sierra is released.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Is there a difference between this safari and the technology preview they released a few days ago. I am confused why we have multiple pre-release versions out there.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
If anyone can access this, I'd like to know what "site-specific zoom" looks like along with the redesigned Bookmarks sidebar with the double-click folder things.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
There wasn't one for mavericks.

So this is a clear indication that mavericks will no longer be supported once Sierra is released.
As to be expected. Apple has for the past few years only provided security updates for the two most recent major versions. I'm on Mavericks and hopefully they at least provide security updates until Sierra is out of beta, as they've done in the past because I'm not updating.

Try a different line. The one you used has been repeated so much by people like yourself, it is no longer funny and way past stale.
I will always come to the comments on a Safari article just to make sure that comment is there. Almost...comforting, in a way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As to be expected. Apple has for the past few years only provided security updates for the two most recent major versions. I'm on Mavericks and hopefully they at least provide security updates until Sierra is out of beta, as they've done in the past because I'm not updating.

I will always come to the comments on a Safari article just to make sure that comment is there. Almost...comforting, in a way.
Pretty sure not how the rules (and thus moderators) see it.

Last edited:

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I have often wondered what percentage of "developers" pay the fees each year just to be able to get their eager hands on new stuff before the majority of people and have no intention whatsoever of creating any type of application.

I'm guessing the number is at least 50%

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
More browser upgrades, zero user experience improvements, tab management horizontally is still VERY poor, favicons still worthless, pinned icon tabs just a gimmick, inspector while improved, is still laggy compared to chrome or firefox, responsive mode doesn't even feature the iPhone SE. All these release notes, long lists.. barely no impact in the interaction or visual disposition of elements, people simply saying "feels snappier".. is this the type of feedback you are looking for Apple?

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Of course I cannot install since I removed 10.11.6 Beta, after loads of problems (iBooks, App Store and others).

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
..., people simply saying "feels snappier".. is this the type of feedback you are looking for Apple?
You understand that this forum has zero official connection to Apple, right? A few Apple employees may read it, but it isn't anything remotely like a proper feedback channel to Apple.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
You understand that this forum has zero official connection to Apple, right? A few Apple employees may read it, but it isn't anything remotely like a proper feedback channel to Apple.

Captain Obvious? I think we are all smart enough to know that. Ya think?

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.