Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Is anyone else annoyed that the font size selection has been removed in Safari 10? All I can do now is zoom the page, which is not the same thing. I want the ability to change the size of the fonts without changing the page zoom.

Is there any way to access this setting now? Alternatively, where can I get the previous version of Safari?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

yes this is annoying.

You can set the minimum font size in Safari via the Terminal (Applications/Utilities).

Open the Terminal, copy and paste this command, then hit Enter

12 is the size, you can change it to what you want.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int 12

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
command-+ zooms the whole page as you mentioned, but hold option-command-+ to enlarge just the text. Safari 10 will remember this setting per web site.
Thanks for this. I haven't updated to 10 yet, but this per site behavior is an improvement for Safari. Not ready to change my default yet, but this is good news (along with the plugin control).

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Option Command + does nothing for me (El Capitan), does it work only with Sierra ?

Yeah... Sierra. In El Capitan there was a Safari 9 pref. choice you could check box to only zoom text, then command-+ would zoom text. Now with Sierra and Safari 10 that pref. choice is gone, so you need to do option-command-+.

If you hover over Zoom In in the View menu and tap the option key you can also see it change to Make Text Bigger. I would have called this option Embiggen, but that's just me. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Weaselboy wrote:
"In El Capitan there was a Safari 9 pref. choice you could check box to only zoom text, then command-+ would zoom text. Now with Sierra and Safari 10 that pref. choice is gone, so you need to do option-command-+."

This is yet one more example of Apple needlessly removing options from its software, and then "hiding" the commands.

Was this really necessary?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Weaselboy wrote:
"In El Capitan there was a Safari 9 pref. choice you could check box to only zoom text, then command-+ would zoom text. Now with Sierra and Safari 10 that pref. choice is gone, so you need to do option-command-+."

This is yet one more example of Apple needlessly removing options from its software, and then "hiding" the commands.

Was this really necessary?
I always explore the menus of a revised app, pressing and releasing the option key.

At least menus will usually change their text when option provides an option. The ones that are really hidden are the pushbuttons where holding option while clicking triggers extra features. Those buttons rarely change their text, so exploring requires a more adventurous attitude.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
I used the terminal to force the minimum font size to be 16:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int 14

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
hi I have the Stylish app which is from the Apple store; it lets me change fonts and font sizes; although I had to enter a code to do that; and in fact I had to search for the code before I knew what it was; its worth it since I like to read my chosen font which is Faranvale; and speaking of Safari I have one more thing to say; which is that they made the videos stop playing if you go to a link on the page; well then say you go back to the page with the Safari arrow button; the video will play where it was playing until you went to the link; how innovative .

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Weaselboy wrote above:
"I can option-command-+ to enlarge text and the next time I visit the site, it is still enlarged. I am on Safari 10 with Sierra."

I have only a "test copy" of Sierra installed (not my "general use" OS at the moment).

I opened Safari 10 to a page I visit, and tried the "command/option/+" key combo.
I found that it enlarged EVERY font size on the page, both smaller AND larger-sized fonts.

This isn't what I was looking for.

Rather, I just wanted to do what the option in previous versions of Safari did:
That is to say, make the smallest versions larger (to a minimum specified size), while leaving larger font sizes unchanged.

The terminal command:
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int 14

... actually DOES THIS.

It will make the smallest sizes larger (to the minimum size specified, and at the same time, DOES NOT CHANGE the font sizes that are already larger than the minimum.

As I mentioned above, I can't understand why Apple's software engineers took this option out of the Safari preferences menu.
What happened to the idea of giving users "the power to be our best"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.