Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you use as your main browser?

• Total voters

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I have just gotten my laptop and i'm still getting used to web browsing in OS X, I noticed some differences with how Firefox differs from Safari and i'm curious to see what others use.

The biggest difference between the two is Firefox is able to do more on sites programmed in asp.net vs. safari being faster at loading pages since its native to OS X.

I also like the mouse gestures in Firefox that Safari is lacking...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I use Safari for pretty much everything, but switch to Firefox/Camino for occasional websites that misbehave!

Gmail however does NOT play nicely with Safari. It seems to give me constant spinning beachballs and is so sluggish when typing a reply. I've lost what little patience I had, so as of this morning I'm using Firefox for my gmail. It seems to be the same problem in both 10.4.2 on my PowerBook and 10.4.3 on my iMac. Anyone else notice this?

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
dietcokevanilla said:
I use Safari for pretty much everything, but switch to Firefox/Camino for occasional websites that misbehave!

Gmail however does NOT play nicely with Safari. It seems to give me constant spinning beachballs and is so sluggish when typing a reply. I've lost what little patience I had, so as of this morning I'm using Firefox for my gmail. It seems to be the same problem in both 10.4.2 on my PowerBook and 10.4.3 on my iMac. Anyone else notice this?

I use Apple's Mail client for my GMail. It's a lot nicer than using web based e-mail, in my opinion. You should give it a try. In case you're not familiar with how to set up a POP mail account on Mail, here is a page on how to set up GMail with it.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13275&topic=1556

Anyway, I use Safari.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jer2eydevil88 said:
I have just gotten my laptop and i'm still getting used to web browsing in OS X, I noticed some differences with how Firefox differs from Safari and i'm curious to see what others use.

The biggest difference between the two is Firefox is able to do more on sites programmed in asp.net vs. safari being faster at loading pages since its native to OS X.

I also like the mouse gestures in Firefox that Safari is lacking...
No browser is more standards-compliant than Safari. Camino is the Gecko-based Mac browser. Firefox is just another browser on the Mac. For years after upgrading to MacOS X, I used Camino as my primary browser with Safari as a back-up. Owing to some speed issues with a particular website, Safari became my primary browser with Camino as a back-up.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Safari 2.0.2 for everything, I haven't had a hitch yet. I know some sites exist that give Safari some problems, allegedly, but I have yet to experience them and thusly I am a happy Safari user :)

I used FireFox back in Panther though, since I keep up on news by way of RSS.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Safari all the way , best browser for RSS feeds, pity it didnt handle tabs a wee bit better.

Firefox and Camino are OK but not really any better or faster. Neither seem to handle java as well as Safari on the mac.

Opera is feature rich but very incompatible with a number of sites.

PS. On the PC I have actually uninstalled Firefox and went back to internet explorer. It seems that if you internet connection hangs and Firefox is not shutdown nicely it will cause a memory leak

Just my opinion:rolleyes:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
dietcokevanilla said:
Weird. Safari has behaved nicely with gmail here, but it can be a beachball orgy on other javascript-heavy sites (but it's waaaaayyyy better than it used to be with 10.4.3's updated webkit).

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i hate pointless polls like these. all it creates are arguments and flame.
if you want to find the best, try it yourself! don't look for other people's opinions or approval you like firefox, fine. like safari fine, like internet explorer, fine. and, oddly i have made a simaler rant in this forum on nearly the exact topic :mad:

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
"funny"...

steelfist said:
i hate pointless polls like these. all it creates are arguments and flame.
if you want to find the best, try it yourself! don't look for other people's opinions or approval you like firefox, fine. like safari fine, like internet explorer, fine. and, oddly i have made a simaler rant in this forum on nearly the exact topic :mad:

Interesting...your post is the ONLY FLAME i see...chill

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
In panther, I used firefox. In Tiger, I used Safari, because Safari 2.0 is more optimized than Firefox 1.0.7. But, now, the Firefox 1.5RC came out, and seems really interesting... Anyway, I find that Safari handles some web pages better than Firefox, and with the upgrade to 10.4.3 is faster than 10.4.2's Safari.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I use Safari exclusively these days. The only time I'd use Firefox is if I encountered a site that doesn't behave well with Safari (which there aren't very many of) or I wanted to use some Firefox-specific extension (none of which I have found especially valuable).

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Safari definitely. Although, irritatingly, it doesn't seem to play as well with the posting to MR as IE6 on my work Windows laptop:mad: Any formatting or smilies I insert on Safari always appear at the end of the text, rather than where the cursor is, as it does on IE6.

Apart from this minor irritation, for me Safari is easily the best browser

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Firefox 1.5. As a Panther user I can't use Safari 2.02 -- that and the new Mail might be what finally convince me to upgrade. Anyone know if the text-box editing functions on MR actually work in Safari 2.02? (e.g. your cursor is actually placed inbetween the tags correctly, etc.)

Edit: Thanks for anticipating my question, Kernow! I guess I'll stick with Panther for now!

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
wordmunger said:
Thanks for anticipating my question, Kernow! I guess I'll stick with Panther for now!

And for my next trick...;)

Seriously, although it is a very small problem I can fully understand this being one of the reasons why you don't upgrade. At the moment, I do all of my MR posting from my Windows laptop at work, partially because of this.

I guess I could get Firefox or another browser, but like I said above, I think Safari is easily the best, bar this one irritation.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Kernow said:
Seriously, although it is a very small problem I can fully understand this being one of the reasons why you don't upgrade.

Basically, the main reason I don't upgrade is that Tiger doesn't seem to solve the problems I have. Though spotlight sounds awesome, I don't typically have trouble finding my documents. My biggest beef with Safari is the poor editing functions, and Tiger doesn't solve that. I've heard Mail is a bit better with spam but that on its own hardly seems worth $200 for a family pack. I can duplicate most widget functionality with Web sites. So there's not really much reason for me to upgrade. I guess what I'd need to push me over the edge is some killer app that's Tiger-only.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
wordmunger said:
Basically, the main reason I don't upgrade is that Tiger doesn't seem to solve the problems I have. Though spotlight sounds awesome, I don't typically have trouble finding my documents... I guess what I'd need to push me over the edge is some killer app that's Tiger-only.

For me that is Spotlight. If it was left to me, I would be like you and have no problem finding files as I am pretty organised. However, my girlfriend also uses my Mac, and files end up anywhere and everywhere with completely random titles, so Spotlight's ability to search the text of the document is an absolute lifesaver :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.