Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you use as your main browser?

• Total voters

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm a Firefox user. I like the way RSS is handled in Firefox. I recently installed Adblock, and I cannot believe how much I like that extension! I never really thought how much of a difference it would make in my webbrowsing, but it makes a lot of webpages so much easier to read and enjoy once you get rid of the ads that are ubiquitous- at the top, along the side, in the middle of an article, etc. I love Firefox.

TexasMac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Texas
I use Safari 98% of the time. I like Firefox, but it seemed sluggish on my old computer. With my new iMac it is very nice though. The main reason that I don't use Firefox is because when I am scrolling with my Mighty Mouse I accidentally scroll sideways sometimes and it takes me backwards to previous pages. I still haven't figured out how to turn that off. Tis very annoying.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
TexasMac said:
I use Safari 98% of the time. I like Firefox, but it seemed sluggish on my old computer. With my new iMac it is very nice though. The main reason that I don't use Firefox is because when I am scrolling with my Mighty Mouse I accidentally scroll sideways sometimes and it takes me backwards to previous pages. I still haven't figured out how to turn that off. Tis very annoying.
This annoyed me too, until I figured out how to change it.

In Firefox, go to the URL about:config

Scroll down through the various settings until you find the section on horizontal mouse scrolling. Change the action for horizontal scrolling to 0 (the same as vertical scrolling). Restart Firefox, and horizontal scrolling should actually work as you expect.

JayMtl

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
Montreal
New Firefox user here, and loving it, but I can't figure out how to handle RSS feeds with it. I imported a few RSS links directly from Safari and if I try to open them in Firefox I need to launch Safari to be able to view them - pointless exercie if you ask me.

Anyone able to explain exactly how to handle RSS links with Firefox?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I voted for Safari. I have used Safari ever since version 1.0 (when I bought my Mac 2 years ago). I just like the simplicity of it and also it appears to display the pages the best of all the free browsers.

I don't really have any compatibility issues but I just wish that the odd thing would get updated, like allowing you to choose which search engine to use, rather than just Google. While I do use Google, I feel that this aspect is as anti-competitve as Microsoft usually is. And IE7, I believe, will have a search field with the ability to choose (not just MSN search ;) )

Also, I had to install Taboo to stop myself closing windows with multiple tabs by accident. This ought to be an option in the preferences.

The only other browser that I remotely like on Mac OS X is the new updated Camino 1.0 beta, which is very close to Safari anyway. It has a nice look to it and works essentially like Safari. But I still don't think it looks quite as good when displaying buttons, widgets and just normal text.

I don't use FireFox on the Mac because it is a bad Windows port and it seems rather slow. It may be customisable, but I like the look of Safari, thankyouverymuch.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I mostly use Safari unless I come across a page that does not like it, then I try something else like Firefox. I just got the new Camino and I quite like the look of it - it is very quick too. I may ty it as my main for a few days to check it out more....oh yeah!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
johnnyjibbs said:
<snip>

Also, I had to install Taboo to stop myself closing windows with multiple tabs by accident. This ought to be an option in the preferences.

<snip>
Personally, I don't see a need for this, at least with Safari. If it was implemented as a preference I'd keep it turned off. My reasoning is this:

Normally, I use Command+W to close something rather than clicking the red button. Safari is smart enough to change the meaning of Command+W when more than one tab is open - if multiple tabs are present it closes the current tab, otherwise it closes the current window. Therefore, it's almost impossible for me to close a window with several tabs in it by accident, since if I try I'll just close the current tab instead.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
wrldwzrd89 said:
Personally, I don't see a need for this, at least with Safari. If it was implemented as a preference I'd keep it turned off. My reasoning is this:

Normally, I use Command+W to close something rather than clicking the red button. Safari is smart enough to change the meaning of Command+W when more than one tab is open - if multiple tabs are present it closes the current tab, otherwise it closes the current window. Therefore, it's almost impossible for me to close a window with several tabs in it by accident, since if I try I'll just close the current tab instead.
Notice the close proximity between the W which when pressed with CMD is used to close one window (or one tab if the window has more tabs) and the Q which when pressed with CMD is used to Quit the application. If I had a penny each time I've hit cmd-Q and meant to hit cmd-W, I'd have £5.37 (thanks Neil ;)). Now with Taboo installed, this is no longer a problem, nor was it a problem before I switched back from Firefox to Safari 2, since Firefox (and most other tab-enabled browsers) have the "close multiple tabs" warning as an option. ;)

Psychic Shopper

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Cleveland Ohio
Fireup Firefox

jer2eydevil88 said:
I have just gotten my laptop and I'm still getting used to web browsing in OS X, I noticed some differences with how Firefox differs from Safari and I'm curious to see what others use.

I downloaded firefox after my wife could no longer log into "My-space". Firefox opened the page just fine. Firefox also opened some charts in my web-page administrators section that Safari couldn't. With the latest version of Safari, it can now open "My Space". Both programs are based on the Mozilla software AOL started, but Firefox seems to be a better implementation of Mozilla. Maybe Firefox puts more people on their browser than Apple does theirs.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Notice the close proximity between the W which when pressed with CMD is used to close one window (or one tab if the window has more tabs) and the Q which when pressed with CMD is used to Quit the application. If I had a penny each time I've hit cmd-Q and meant to hit cmd-W, I'd have £5.37 (thanks Neil ;)). Now with Taboo installed, this is no longer a problem, nor was it a problem before I switched back from Firefox to Safari 2, since Firefox (and most other tab-enabled browsers) have the "close multiple tabs" warning as an option. ;)
Ahh, the good old hit Command+Q when I meant Command+W mistake...forgot about that one, and I agree, it is annoying when you do it unintentionally.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I've tried earlier versions of Firefox (1.0 was the last one I used) but it really seemed to me that Safari started up significantly faster. I've also tried Camino, which I found better than Firefox, but I keep coming back to Safari. The big reason is habit; I love the UI for Safari and the key commands that I use on Safari don't transfer over completely to either Camino or Firefox. Since I can't be bothered to relearn everything when the Mozilla browsers don't have a significant advantage over Safari, I'm sticking with what I have for now.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
mms said:
What's so significant about a GO button?
A lot of times I copy and paste a link into the browser window. I hate having to hit enter if I'm surfing from the couch or something. Minor inconvenience, but inconvenient none-the-less. GO buttons are a lot handier than you'd think, especially if you aren't used to using one. No GO button, lack of addons I need, I use FF.

I use SpellBound as a spellchecker.

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Here's something I find really frustrating about Safari: if you command-click on a link in your Bookmarks Bar, you get the website in a new tab. However, if you command-click on a link that is grouped, there's no new tab. Can anyone think of a reason for this inconsistent behavior?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
FadeToBlack said:
I use Apple's Mail client for my GMail. It's a lot nicer than using web based e-mail, in my opinion. You should give it a try. In case you're not familiar with how to set up a POP mail account on Mail, here is a page on how to set up GMail with it.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13275&topic=1556

Anyway, I use Safari.

Wow, thanks for the link i was just wondering if i could do this with my newly created Gmail account.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
I am a fan of the Safari. I have been using that the vast majority of the time. I use FireFox 1.5 for Blogger and a few sites that I find work better in FF. I have tried out Camio, and I like it very much...but its continued existance puzzles me. Why they dont just take what they have learned from Camio and apply it to the Mac version of FF and do away with it is beyond me. But if there are people out there that stand by Camino then I am glad it is still around. There should be a browser for everyone...it would be Safari for me if it worked with Blogger the same way FF does.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
TrenchMouth said:
I am a fan of the Safari. I have been using that the vast majority of the time. I use FireFox 1.5 for Blogger and a few sites that I find work better in FF. I have tried out Camio, and I like it very much...but its continued existance puzzles me. Why they dont just take what they have learned from Camio and apply it to the Mac version of FF and do away with it is beyond me. But if there are people out there that stand by Camino then I am glad it is still around. There should be a browser for everyone...it would be Safari for me if it worked with Blogger the same way FF does.

The thing is, FF is a totally different paradigm from Camino. FF strives for cross-platform consistency and infinate extendability, while Camino strives for OS integration and simplicity. I wrote some about different browsers and their advantages/disadvantates here.
Anyway, they both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I don't think that they should (or ever will be) combined. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
solvs said:
I use SpellBound as a spellchecker.
Anyone know if there's a way to get Spellbound to check spelling as you type?

I'm in the process of switching back from Safari to Firefox. Safari simply crashes too often (on the CGI heavy sites I frequent daily). I think I gotten the hang of making search engines (enough that I won't miss AcidSearch too much) and Vienna seems to replace Safari's RSS handling, so then it's just the built in spellchecker that's keeping me from switching.

I've installed Spellbound (hey, it even has Norwegian, which Tiger still misses) and if it only would "Check Spelling As You Type" I would be a very happy man... ;)

eazyc10

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2004
I use safari only because firefox seems to run sluggish.

I hate the find on safari. I love how firefox implements the find feature.

I also hate how tabbing to a drop down box in safari does not work properly.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
QCassidy352 said:
safari. I can't live without my spellcheck! :eek:

I haer that ;)

I was a total Safari whore until I started messing around with Blogger and Wordpress. Safari does not render the post boxes properly.

Safari's on the left. Notice whats missing?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 36

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Firefox 1.5 is so good that there is no need to use Firefox 1.0.7, and little need to use Safari, either. The final release should be out within a few days.

I'm loving the Adblock and Fasterfox extensions, too.

Wow, the new update functionality downloaded the update to make RC2 into RC3 and was fully automated. It let me know after it had finished downloading and it went quite quickly. It's certainly a lot less painless than the usual "automated" updated where it only takes you to the website to download the full-sized product.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
bousozoku said:
Firefox 1.5 is so good that there is no need to use Firefox 1.0.7, and little need to use Safari, either. The final release should be out within a few days.

I'm loving the Adblock and Fasterfox extensions, too.

Welcome back, buddy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.