safari 2.0 speed champ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kugino, Apr 14, 2005.

1. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    from apple's website specs, it looks like safari 2.0 might finally be useful. as it stands right now, safari 1.2.x stinks. now, i don't want this to be a thread about the merits of safari 1.2.x...what i'm interested about is if safari 2.0 is actually that fast. specifically, can it handle multiple tabs loading simultaneously without bogging down? i'm using optimised builds of camino and ff b/c safari 1.2.x is so slow.

i know tiger isn't out yet and those qualified to say something meaningful are under NDA...but, we can still discuss it, can't we?
  2. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    I'll give Safari a go again when I get Tiger. I make it a point never to believe a company's benchmark of its own product, no matter who the company is. I still think Safari will be hard pressed to beat Camino in terms of raw speed, but maybe the features could find themselves useful enough to excuse a slowdown in perceived response.

3. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I love the look, feel, stability and intergration of Safari, but I hate the speed which to me is the more importatant which is why I use Camino. If Safari could just improve a bit speed-wise, then I would use it. Safari 2.0 should be a very good improvement since Safari 1.2.4 is not cutting it.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i agree, Safari might speed up a bit, but i think the Gecko engine has it beat at this point for just raw speed, although the features in Safari might compel me to use it over Camino, and heck i wont touch FF because Camino has huge gains over that as well
  5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    I'm very tempted to use it; I'm currently a Firefox user, but I would love the extra speed it's offering (the current Safari in 10.3.8 is a lot faster than it, especially in flash/java heavy sites) but it's the features that are keeping me with Firefox.

RSS is done a lot better in Safari in Firefox too; I've never really begun to use it because I don't like how it's done in Firefox. (and Sage was too ugly imo)

Adblock is the reason I stick though, and I'll probably stay with Firefox even with Safari 2.0 available because of it. Yes, there are plugins for Safari that try to do it, but it's just not the same. Nothing works as well, or as easily as Adblock does. :(

While Firefox is fast for pageloads, actualy browser performance is pretty awful.
  6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    If Safari 2.0 matches or beats Firefox on my system (in terms of speed), I will return to Safari. The look and feel, RSS, etc. will all be great.

However, does Safario 2.0 have the ability to ask before accepting any cookie like Firefox? I like that feature.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yeah, I was wondering too if Tiger would be the time to give Safari another shot... Then again, FF 1.1 is due out as a PR in a month or two. And better OS X integration was a key goal, wasn't it? Hmmm.... ;) Life is good. :D
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I reckon the new Safari is one of the main reasons I'll be updating to Tiger. It looks pretty good IMO. :)

Here's hoping that it's heaps faster too...
  9. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    Yeah, FF would rock if it weren't so darned buggy in OSX. I hope that 1.1 gives us some much needed fixin', because the FF team has really dropped the ball for us Mac users. Camino is pretty spartan, but it does its job almost on par with my expectations.

Of course all of my keychain entries are with Camino. Maybe I can add Safari permission to access them and I won't have to reenter passwords?