Safari 2?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by StarbucksSam, Dec 5, 2004.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Does anyone know if there is any indication that there will be a Safari sequal with the release of Tiger or a newer operating system? This one is not up to par.

2. iJoe macrumors member

Safari will be updated when Tiger comes along. 'Safari RSS' seems to be what Steve Jobs is calling it.

3. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

What does RSS stand for? Is that related to CSS? What is CSS, while you're at it? I'm an idiot.

4. iJoe macrumors member

RSS means Really Symple Syndication, which is basically a newsfeed. The next version of Safari will have that built in. I'm pretty sure it'll have other new features on top of that though.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

RSS: Really Simple Syndication
    An RSS feed is simply an XML document. Typically, it is used by a news website such as MacRumors so that RSS clients can download just the headline and an abstract of the news item, and then the user can click on a link to the full story if it sounds interesting.

CSS: Cascading Style Sheets
    CSS is a simple way to concatenate style information (i.e. typeface, colors, etc.) and make it easily accessible. For example, on the website for the company that I work for, I have emphasized text set to italic and blue. So the code in the style sheet looks like this:

Code:
    font.emphasis {font-style: italic;
                         color: #00A; }
    This way, to indicate in the HTML to mark something as emphasized, I can do this:

Code:
    <font class="emphasis">Blah blah blah</font>
    Instead of this:

Code:
    <font color="#0000A0"><i>Blah blah blah</i></font>
    This is a lame example, but you can imagine it comes in handy when I use a particular set of six or seven parameters on a regular basis, such as when I'm making a table with several standard cell sizes, all of which need to have a particular background color.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Daveman...

change that <font> tag to a <p> tag so that we keep up to date with our standards :)

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I was taking my code out of context. To be truly proper, I should have used <p> elements and then <span> elements in place of <font> elements. That's what actually happens on the webpage I coded for the company, but it's been awhile since I had to edit any of that, and I forgot. :p