Safari 3.0.4 Beta for Windows

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the Mac OS X 10.4.11 updates today, Apple also released a new beta of Safari for Windows as detailed in this tech note.

The latest Safari beta for Windows incorporates a number of stability, performance and security improvements. A number of new features are detailed as well, including:

- Includes an additional font smoothing option ("standard)
    - Adds International text input methods
    - Adds cookie management
    - Adds spell checking and grammar checking
    - New keyboard shortcuts

Apple also incorporated Safari 3 with the Mac OS X 10.4.11 update, bringing the final version of Safari 3 to Tiger users. Apple first released Safari for Windows in June at WWDC 2007.

Download link: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Article Link

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice that Apple pushed Safari 3 final to Tiger. I mean it RAN on Tiger so was there a doubt that it wouldn't go final?

It'll be time for Windows too. :p

3. macrumors 6502

Finally, thanks Apple!

4. macrumors 68020

samh004

I wonder how many Windows users actually use Safari now though. Any official figures ?

Has this latest beta removed some of the Mac-centric shortcuts and stuff like that. I haven't used Safari for Windows since June and I recall it was just a photo copy job of the Mac version back then.

Is it snappier ?!

5. macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

I am glad to see the spell checker added. Safari is my favorite browser, so having it in Xp is nice. Hope some of the bugs i reported were addressed. Good to see "the best Browser" back it's stuff up. The find feature is also great BTW.

6. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Safari 3 is very fast, and I like it quite a bit - but it also has some new CSS bugs that weren't in 2. Hopefully they'll get those fixed.

7. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well, about time they added the spell checker for windows. It is a huge reason why I refused to even conisider using Safria for windows. Now I may be willing to play around with it. Fire fox will stay my main browser for a long time to come.

8. macrumors member

Ummmm ...

I'm sorry, while I appreciate the attempt on Apple's part; Safari on Windows just doesn't "look" good.

I think the browser itself functions fine, but in the grand scheme of things it just doesn't look "Appelish" or rather doesn't fit in the Windows OS - it stands out and does so uglyishly (I know, not a word).

But as long as it works I guess ...

9. macrumors newbie

I've been using Safari on XP since Apple debuted the beta for XP. Safari 3 looks much better and I love it so far. Thanks Apple.

10. Guest

Darkroom

is Safari 3.0.4 that comes with Mac OS X 10.5 also a beta?

11. macrumors member

I really don't understand why apple is wasting their time developing safari for windows...whats their goal?

Windows users already have firefox and IE7, both decent browsers, there's no need for safari.

Maybe to sync certain settings to the iPhone?

12. Moderator emeritus

What's their goal? It's all because of the iPhone and browser-based apps.

13. macrumors member

its easy to see their goal!

they want windows users to use more and more apple software - its a way of introducing themselves to the uninitiated windows users - and then hopefully they will like it so much that they switch to a mac increasing sales etc

14. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I don't know a single person (outside these forums) who uses Safari for Windows. Most seem to go 'oh look there's a browser from Apple - install, try, uninstall'.

15. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

:eek: I did that. I prefer Firefox in Windows. But I use Safari in Leopard :)

16. macrumors newbie

One of their goals is to provide a way for Windows-based businesses to test their HTML on Safari. This means we get less web sites that fail to load properly because they've only been tested on IE.

17. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Standard font smoothing, eh? I guess this means they finally caved and allowed people to let it mangle fonts the Windows way?

18. macrumors 6502a

You don't need no dang computer spell checker/grammar checker when you got yer buddies at MacRumors forums happy to hep you out!

19. macrumors 6502a

World domination.

Next question, please!

20. macrumors 6502a

Can anybody compare Safari with Camino? Which would you use and why?

21. macrumors 68020

samh004

I hope Apple eventually builds bookmark syncing to Safari on Windows into Safari on Windows. That'd be useful to have, to keep your Windows part of your life in line with your Mac part. A simple preference setting would be all it takes (and of course coding the back-end, but you don't see that so it's as if it's just a new preference setting).

22. macrumors regular

I like using Safari when I'm using Windows, just because the shortcuts are very similar to the OS X version. Unfortunately this means remembering to use the Ctrl key instead of the Cmd key, but oh well :( I think I was one of the few who actually liked the font smoothing. Oh well. It looked purdy.

Just on an interesting side note..

Windows is snappier now.

23. macrumors regular

I used Camino in Tiger but when i switched to Leopard i began to use Safari. I used Camino because it was faster loading and loading webpages but now in leopard Safari loads just as quick and loads webpages just as quick too. Also, the "make a widget" future is a hell of a lot handier then i expected it to be as well as quite a few webpages now playing much nicer with Safari then with Camino (for example my online banking, Gmail - GoogleChat, and a few web 2.0 pages too...) Plus it did drive me nuts the way pdf's would download rather then open with Camino

To be honest i like Camino because it's open source and Safari because it fits into Leopard better. All the benefits that made me use Camino in Tiger have been fixed by Safari in Leopard

By the way, Safari on windows is S**t in my opinion although i haven't used the latest beta. Just seams not to play well with the whole windows thing...

24. macrumors regular

Now when will Firefox become useable in OS X?

25. macrumors P6

twoodcc

glad that they got the final for Tiger, and that they are still improving the windows version. now if only i could install it here at work....