Safari 3.0 and Shiira

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmanny, Feb 18, 2007.

1. macmanny macrumors newbie

Hi, does anybody know if Safari 3.0 will include a face life sort of like itunes recieved recently? Also I've heard about another web browser called Shiira (which is supose to be like safari but better), has anyon used that, if so what do you think and does anyone know when the final release version of 2.0 will be avalible?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Leopard is supposed to include a refined UI, so it's possible. And I've never heard of Shirra. Do you have a link to a website?

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en

its a solid browser created by some folks in japan, wanting to make a better browser than safari. it's good, has some features safari lacks, but i sitll use safari over it for now.

4. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Shiira has some great features that Safari lacks, so I would suggest you download it and try it for a few days. If you think that Safari is better than firefox or camino, then Shiira is even better also because of the features and looks. Note however that where safari fails, shiira fails too (whereas firefox probably works).

By the way, I really hope that Leopard's Safari will better. Apple need to seriously work on this.

5. Butters macrumors 6502

It certainly needs a face-life you're right there.
    Brushed metal is getting uglier by the day :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

safari might see a facelift come leopard, but its hard to say.

that said Camino ftw! i tried Shirra, just never took a liking too it myself.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i like shirra, but i would love safari if it would allow application expose (f10) to expose tabs (like shirra) and a load bar of sorts for tabs.

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Had never heard of Shiira but the tab expose looks pretty sweet

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Tab Exposé is one of the best things about it but the browser is like a showcase of what can be done. It only misses out on the typical things that many people expect, such as saving passwords.

There is an extension for Firefox that does something similar to Tab Exposé, called Tab Catalog.

I'm hoping that Safari 3.0 looks and works better but Shiira will probably be a more interesting version of a WebKit browser.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there are actually at least 4 extensions for firefox with this function.

As for Shiira, once their beta become stable, i will try again, for safaro 3.0, I think I saw some video before, it provides more operation on tabs, but UI looks pretty familiar to me.

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I tried Shiira for the first time today - first the beta, then the last stable version (after the beta crashed a few times). I can't believe how fast it is. If they add a password-saving device, I'll be happy.

I also miss the possibility to import bookmarks from Camino and to use icons only for bookmarks in the bookmark bar, but if they just add the save-password feature...:) Until then, it's still Camino for me.

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Shiira soes have some pretty cool features :) I'll give it a try and see how it works

13. macguysoft macrumors member

Shiira is a pretty awesome browser to say the least but it mostly resembles safari. I think Leopard will be heavily revamped due to apple spending about 2 years on this project. It's just unimaginable for them to leave safari with a little upgrade and have no change in GUI.

Going off-topic, if Leopard doesn't present an updated GUI, then that would probably be a really big disappointment. Due to Apple's concern about blowing away Vista, i would bet $200 that Mac OS X will get a facelift.