Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
We all loved the new features and layout back in the Safari 4 Beta. Now it's learning about all the strange bugs, plug-in problems, and persistent animation rendering overhead issues.

Is it just me or was the Beta a better build than the final and later versions?

Civic Minded

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Woodstock, GA
Warning can cause Safari to crash

Remove the spaces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Elastic_collision

If you scroll around the page and then go back up to the top it causes my Safari to 100% and sometimes stops responding.

First off I want to thank you for pointing out this problem in a way that actually shows the problem first hand. I showed this to a couple different people who claim that animated gif files have never given them trouble, and it locked them up real quick. Some even had to force quit and that page isn't anything that complicated either. I think a lot of the crashes people are complaining about with Safari come from things just like this, maybe they just never realized what was causing it.

This is terrible on Apple's part to have let this problem go on and on like they have. I love Safari and would much prefer to use it, but I've been back to using Firefox for this one and only reason. Firefox does happen to display that wiki page beautifully I must add. Truly inexcusable IMO. :(

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's telling me to reboot after installation. But... it's a browser update! Jeez I feel like we've had to reboot for the last 4 or 5 minor updates. Not even Windows made us reboot for every IE update. How strange.

Safari updates have always required a restart because they install an updated version of WebKit (the framework) into the system, which is separate, but used by Safari (the browser).

I run WebKit.app (the nightly development build of Safari) and they've started doing delta updates right within the browser itself. Rather than download the entire thing every day, they send just the bits that have changed. Updating has been so much quicker. I hope they bring delta updates to more parts of the software update process.

Civic Minded

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Woodstock, GA
It emulates it, but it steals viewable screen pixels; so, there's no point using it. :(

Ah, well nuts. I never used the beta of Safari 4, so I didn't really know what it looked like. I just saw that one browsing around and thought I'd post it up since so many people seem to be missing that feature.

Now that you say that, it is a little chunky sized isn't it. :eek:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
But does it put the tabs back on the top? I'm not leaving the beta until I can get that.
If your browsing needs are fairly basic, you could give Stainless a spin. It has tabs on top (and uses Webkit). It also uses a new thread for every tab like Chrome does.
If you handle your bookmarks via other means (eg, delcious) and can live with a bookmarks bar (or shelf) only, it might be sufficient for you. I do not use it because it does not have address completion (yet) and because it looks too clunky. Only if I want to login with two or more different credentials to the same website just using tabs, it comes in handy (as it is the only browser able to do it).

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Safari updates have always required a restart because they install an updated version of WebKit (the framework) into the system, which is separate, but used by Safari (the browser).

I run WebKit.app (the nightly development build of Safari) and they've started doing delta updates right within the browser itself. Rather than download the entire thing every day, they send just the bits that have changed. Updating has been so much quicker. I hope they bring delta updates to more parts of the software update process.
The problem is that a lot of other parts of the OS use Webkit as well (eg, Mail). That probably makes it harder to update Webkit (the framework, not Webkit.app) without a restart. And getting security updates for the Webkit part in Mail is probably rather recommended.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
What I'd like to see:

Aqua loading status bar,
Tabs on top again (not default, but an option at least),
Better Flash support (one core at full load to watch a crappy video is unacceptable),
A decent animated gif support (not crashing would be enough for me),
"Save tabs and quit" option.

Except for TOT, firefox has all this options...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple truly does NOT know how to handle Flash and GIFs inside of the browser.
You might be right about animated GIFs but Flash is rendered by the Flash plugin which is written by Adobe (and before they bought them, Macromedia). The performance of Flash on the Macs sucks because it is not a priority for Adobe to improve it.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
You might be right about animated GIFs but Flash is rendered by the Flash plugin which is written by Adobe (and before they bought them, Macromedia). The performance of Flash on the Macs suck because it is not a priority for Adobe to improve it.

Couldn't Apple lay down their hands on that plugin and sort that out? The problem is that Apple doesn't give a crap about it, so, it stays the way it is now.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So you guys prefer the Tabs on Top instead of Security fixes and Stability.

:D

"Stupid is as stupid does, Mama always says." -Forrest Gump

Yep, the stupid ones will stay on the beta forever because of a feature that was never offered in any final release of Safari, ever. :rolleyes:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I just wish that in the tool bar customization tab, we still had the ability to add our own stop/reload button, and to be able to add it wherever we want on the toolbar!

Call me crazy, but to me it is much more efficient to have the stop/reload button located right next to the forward and back buttons... I hate having to move my mouse constantly back and forth across the screen.
Do you really need the stop button often enough? For developers, the reload button might be needed quite often.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Couldn't Apple lay down their hands on that plugin and sort that out? The problem is that Apple doesn't give a crap about it, so, it stays the way it is now.
Couldn't Apple lay their hands on that slow Word and PowerPoint and sort them out?
Only by writing their own version, as they have done with Keynote and Pages (but compatibility is certainly not 100%).

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
You might be right about animated GIFs but Flash is rendered by the Flash plugin which is written by Adobe (and before they bought them, Macromedia). The performance of Flash on the Macs sucks because it is not a priority for Adobe to improve it.

Indeed it'S a 3rd party addon to the system, but then again how would you explain the vast difference of implementation between Safari and Opera? I bet even the Intel users see a difference there.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
Couldn't Apple lay their hands on that slow Word and PowerPoint and sort them out?
Only by writing their own version, as they have done with Keynote and Pages (but compatibility is certainly not 100%).
Apple has the alternative for slow @ss Office. And since iWork is around, why should they solve MS Office's problems? Where's the alternative for web's standard flash? Is Apple expecting Silverlight to be the next flash?:rolleyes:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Apple truly does NOT know how to handle Flash and GIFs inside of the browser.

How come when you watch a Flash video in Opera the CPU usage is around 55% and when you watch the very same video in Safari the usage jumps to 113%?

It's sloppiness. Apple should not be about sloppiness but about quality and speed. Unfortunately Safari 4 displays litle of these two critical features.

I'm not trying to defend Apple here, but ever though of the possibility that the Flash Plugin for Safari is just not working optimally? How do you expect Apple to deal with that. It's Adobe that manages the Flash standard, so it's ip to them to provide working plugins that can read them properly.

finally!!!
hope they release bug fixes & the crash issues :rolleyes:

What crash issues? Are you referring to Flash related crashes (see above)? I still have to encounter any crash in Safari 3 and 4 (beta and afterwards) that are NOT attributable to Flash. My Safari is rock solid except for Flash. Haven tried that animated gif yet though, but up till now I haven't noticed any problems with others yet.

Does anyone here have crashes that are not attributable to Flash?

Lacasse

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
Im on snow leopard and when I downloaded it... and tried to install it said I can't because 10.5.8 is required
Screenshoton2009-07-08at41009PM.png

For SL users...I changed the OSX version in the
System/Library/Coreservices/Systemversion.plist. And it would have let me install it, but the installer indicated that my current Safari from the latest snow leopard is newer than the 4.0.2 version. We must have a higher build number?

For those who don't know how to change the "About this mac" System version...Open System/Library/Coreservices/Systemversion.plist. in a text editor and change the versions....In this example i changed from 10.6 to 10.5.8.

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.5.8</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.5.8</string> )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.