Safari 5.1.4 with JavaScript and PDF Handling Improvements Seeded to Developers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple today began seeding Safari 5.1.4 to developers for testing, signaling the next round of improvements for Apple's browser software. Safari 5.1.4 is available in versions for OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and Windows, and the release notes ask developers to focus their testing on JavaScript performance, interactions between plug-ins and zooming, and PDF printing.
    Safari 5.1.3 was released just yesterday as part of OS X 10.7.3 and is a Lion-only release for now, as Safari 5.1.2 remains the most up-to-date version available for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows users.

Article Link: Safari 5.1.4 with JavaScript and PDF Handling Improvements Seeded to Developers

2. macrumors 6502

dwman

I'm all for Safari fixes, but I would love to know when iOS 5.1 is being released. Lots of iCloud bugs that need fixing.

3. macrumors 68000

I was hoping this build would at least fix the issues I’m having with PDFs displayed in frames since upgrading to Lion. The scaling is odd and the controls are missing, which means that I cannot really read PDF files anymore when they are contained in frames. This annoys me considerably. Printing seems to work fine though.

4. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

It's always nice to see Apple further improving Safari.

5. macrumors G4

daneoni

Is it snappier?

March, when iPad 3 launches

6. macrumors newbie

I haven't seen anything like what you describe... Do you have a URL that shows this issue?

Have you reported the problem?

7. macrumors 6502

As far as I'm concerned, they completely broke it with 5.1. Safari is the whole reason I am still on OS X 10.6.8. Gotta admit I'm still pretty peeved that they would break so many plugins that I rely on daily with a x.1 update. I wish they'd make the plugin architecture more flexible again - the Evernote web clipper sucks compared to the capabilities of the Safari 5.0x extension, and I'm not sure if 1password is as usable either. Having a right-click context menu is so much more usable than having to clutter up the interface with a bunch of buttons and icons.

8. mnb
    macrumors member

I hope the update fixes the severe problems I've had since upgrading to 5.1. It's barely usable and trashing prefs and cache did not resolve the problem. Neither did disabling plugins.

9. jamewhite86, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

macrumors newbie

Improvements Seeded to Developers

web clipper sucks compared to the capabilities of the Safari 5.0x extension, and I'm not sure if 1password is as usable either. Having a right-click context menu is so much more usable than having to clutter up the interface with a bunch of buttons and icons.thanks for sharing the information.

10. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

At it's best under 10.6.

11. macrumors regular

1Password works as long as they don´t update the plugin, because this usually causes the browser to freeze. Evernote sucks now though, I hardly use it via plugin anymore.

12. macrumors 68000

If you go to this website you will see a PDF file that is contained in a frame. For me, the PDF is scaled down, with dark-grey borders around it. There are no PDF controls when you hover with your cursor over it, which makes it impossible to scale or download the PDF. The only workaround seems to be to either open the PDF in a new tab or window or to download it. Needless to say, it is annoying. I deleted/disabled all extensions and plugins, such Adobe Reader, Flip4Mac and Perian, but it does not solve the problem. WebKit has the same problem. I have been using the latest developer versions of Safari and I am running OS X Lion.