Safari 5 is slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SESpy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2010
    Has anyone noticed that Safari 5 is kind of slower than Safari 4.1???
    It's not me. I am sure that 4.1 was faster and i enabled the develop menu so i chose 4.1 version under the user agent! I am using the same network and it's still slower! EVERY SINGLE PAGE! what's up???
  2. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2008
    Changing the user agent only changes how web sites identify the browser, if they happen to have browser specific code (like those old "only works on IE" sites). In any case it's just you, Safari 5 is just as fast as 4 on my machines. You might want to check if you have any addons installed because many of them seem to break (at least Glims no longer works properly).
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2008
    After using it for 6 hours - restarting the computer and restarting Safari three times, it's still slow for me too... not only in new/unvisited sites, but also with sites that have already loaded before in it, such as MacRumors... wtf?

Plus, the VideoBox and Web Snapper buttons don't work any more... already wrote to TastyApps about this - hopefully they can fix it.

Already received word from TastyApps customer service regarding the VideoBox and Web Snapper issue!!! They have released an update which fixes the buttons in the toolbar... so, great apps and superb customer service. I'm really impressed with their fast response. So anyone else with this issues, just download the latest release and presto!

I'll stick with Safari 5 tomorrow. If it doesn't get any better, I'll try to go back to Safari 4.1.... anybody knows how to do that?

5. macrumors 6502

Mar 12, 2009
    No, mine is noticeably quicker... and it hasn't hung yet for me (which 4 did a lot).
  6. macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2008
    Mine is super slow, loads of 'failed to open page'.

I get loads of little blue boxes with a question mark in on this website too. ?
  7. macrumors member

Jan 9, 2010
    When I first downloaded and installed it, it was rather slow and seemed to want to crash. After a couple of hours, it was fine. This morning, I can really sense a difference between it and its predecessor. I'm impressed.
  8. macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2010

I have been using it for hours. Restarted a few times. Opening the same pages many times. Soooo sloooooow. Oh well, back to Firefox.
  9. ntg
    macrumors regular

May 3, 2002
    UK - Rushden, Northants
    No problems yet

I've been using it on a Win7 laptop for a few hours now, for standard web pages and also for web portals, and have noticed that overall it seems quicker at opening and also finishing the pages.

Definitely a good update, and no obvious gotchas yet...

10. macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2007
    also slower!

same problem as a few before me : MUCH SLOWER!!
  11. macrumors regular

May 4, 2010
  12. macrumors member

Aug 4, 2009
    yea, mine is much slower also. i think its probably due to click-to-flash. ill uninstall it at see what happens
  13. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2008
    Much slower, though I do have CosmoPod and ClickToFlash.
  14. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2010
    Mr. consultant, i appreciate your help but there's no need to be that arrogant :) ( i you were, sorry if i missunderstood )
    I waited for 4 hours :) how much does it take to cache my info? More than 4 hours?
    I reinstalled it and now is awesome! No waiting of any kind. Thank you all!
  15. macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2007
    Try "Reset Safari", that would start the program from scratch.
  16. macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2010
    safari 5 slower than safari 4

i have found safari 5 to be much slower than safari 4 ! :(

on safari 4:
    - when doing a CMD+N i immediately would start typing and my text would appear in the new windows google search box (my homepage is google).
    on safari 5:
    - it misses the first few characters : because safari 5 takes LONGER to open a new window (and this affects me for this reason).

on safari 4:
    - i would never get the dreaded pinwheel
    on safari 5:
    - i have got it 3 times today already, and after 30-60 seconds, it continues as normal : how frustrating when that happens.. whats it doing!

on safari 4:
    - flash games/interactive content was fast as any other browser.
    on safari 5:
    - significantly slower! the FPS in flash dropped all the way down to 5fps on 800x600 swf content.. ouch! and YUCK.

so, im sure there is more that i hate about it but that will do for now.

how do i uninstall and go back to safari 4 ?
  17. macrumors member

Jun 29, 2009
    It works absolutely great for me try using the reset safari option or do a repair permission to see if it helps.
  18. macrumors member

Apr 15, 2010
    Im not sure if its the browser,but I wanted to open the quickitme file from apples website to watch the WWDC and it won't load.:mad:
    But otherwise I had not problems with safari 5 what so ever.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2008
  20. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Keep open the Activity Window (Menu -> Window) and check what it's accessing when you get slow pages.

I'm having no problems. No noticeable differences, although Sunspider shows JavaScript is 30% faster, in line with the release notes. I wouldn't expect to notice any differences in non-javascript-heavy pages.

It may be coincidence. A suddenly unresponsive ad site would make things seem slower for a lot of people.
  21. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    What OS? Computer?

For me the first time page load was slow, it is to be expected.

But after that it's faster.

Works better than the previous version on Snow Leopard with all updates, MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb of ram.
  22. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Let me join the chorus of Mac users who finds that Safari 5 is much faster than any version of Safari 4. What this means is that your personal slowness is a local issue.

The most probable source of Safari problems is haxies. A haxie is an extension that many Mac users install to "improve" Safari. It is well-known that haxies are not future-proof. They often must be removed after a Safari update until such time that their developers updates them to account for the new version of Safari.
  23. macrumors 65816

Sep 8, 2009

Safari 5 is way faster than 4.1,I used to use Chrome as my main browser b/c facebook kept crashing 4.1,but not anymore! :D
  24. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2010
    it's acting up again. It's not only on my macbook 2009 late model but on my Mac Pro ( Xeon CPU & 8 gigs of ram :) ) but dunno what's going on... Will keep you posted guys. it's like once is lightning fast and than it has the speed of a snail :D
  25. macrumors 68020

Mar 4, 2007
    safari 5 is slower for me too. Safari 4 and stainless were about the same, safari 5 is about 2x slower than stainless on the same websites. (no js on the pages though except a analytics script on a subdomain on the same server.)