Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
It might just be an issue with a corrupt update but safari won't load any web pages for me on my pbook 12". And lately I 've been reading around other mac sites, that it's causing all sorts of issues for ppc macs, to the extent that people switch to (as I have) to firefox in the interim. And that would be a damn shame if we are stuck with safari 4 on the ppc for sure...

Experiences?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
as i run several operating systems on my Mac mini G4 1.42 (leopard,tiger,panther,debian ,ubuntu , soon morph os too)
i have installed safari Version 5.0 (5533.16) under leopard and i have so far no issues whatsoever with it , works perfectly well, opens all websites , plays html5 beta , cant complain about anything

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
as i run several operating systems on my Mac mini G4 1.42 (leopard,tiger,panther,debian ,ubuntu , soon morph os too)
i have installed safari Version 5.0 (5533.16) under leopard and i have so far no issues whatsoever with it , works perfectly well, opens all websites , plays html5 beta , cant complain about anything

thanks for the heads up mate, maybe something in my install is corrupt like I said, I 'll try reinstalling asap. Here is another negative opinion from a roughly drafted user, just for reference:

In contrast, I had to revert to Firefox (latest) on the PPC machine (because Safari5 refuses to start) and it is much slower than Safari 4 was (and despite a few neat features is a real clunker to work with and look at!).
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/...ikes-back-after-googles-android-io/#more-4339

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Another suggestion: clear out the Safari folders in both your home Library folder and the system Library folder. Thus any settings carried over from Safari 4 that may be causing issues can be gotten rid of. Before doing this, however, backup your Bookmarks.plist and History.plist from the Safari folder inside you Home folder (so, say, copy them to the Desktop) so you don't lose that information.

I haven't had any issues with Safari 5 on my systems. Made things faster on the iMac, actually.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Another suggestion: clear out the Safari folders in both your home Library folder and the system Library folder. Thus any settings carried over from Safari 4 that may be causing issues can be gotten rid of. Before doing this, however, backup your Bookmarks.plist and History.plist from the Safari folder inside you Home folder (so, say, copy them to the Desktop) so you don't lose that information.

I haven't had any issues with Safari 5 on my systems. Made things faster on the iMac, actually.

That's a great suggestion, thanks.

marc.richards7

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
Well, I'm new here, but not new to Macs. I have a 17" PowerBook as you can tell in my sig. I had issues with Safari 5 when I downloaded it from Apple's website. I uninstalled it and done a little reminiscence. I remembered when Safari 4 came out, and I installed from Apple's website, it wouldn't load the pages. I uninstalled it, restarted, and then used the Software Update utility. Afterwards, it was better, but I still had issues. After booting from the OS Install DVD, and repairing the permissions, it was all good again. Hope I helped. Peace.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I might have to do that.... it just won't load any webpages on my ppc mac no matter what I do, or how I install it...:(

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I have an old iBook G4 (so similar architecture to the powerbooks) running Leopard and Safari 5...no problems here. Can't say it's any faster than 4 though, and the Reader is a little sluggish.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
seems to be a mystery thing with safari 5 , some like me have no problems whatsoever with it and others cant even load webpages or are not even able start it at all :confused:

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Running fine here on my G5 (10.5) and G4 (10.4.11) iMacs... It did crash twice, initially, on my MacBook Pro, which I thought was odd.

However, after a few restarts and permission repairs, it seems to be functioning okay.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
seems to be a mystery thing with safari 5 , some like me have no problems whatsoever with it and others cant even load webpages or are not even able start it at all :confused:

Yes it is very strange indeed, still no luck here, despite permissions repair, and checking the usual suspects... what's even funnier (in an ironic, frustrating way, lol) is that the safari 5 leopard .dmg won't even mount anymore...

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
No matter what I 've done safari 5.0 won't load any pages, nada, the blue bar (which btw is very distracting) just gets stuck at 1/5 and nothing loads. I 've reinstalled it countless times....

And I 've tried everything except re-installing os x. Which of course I am not prepared to do for obvious reasons. I now had to get pacifist to reinstall safari 4.05. It's just so strange that 5.0 won't work while every other browser I have, the boring ff and the great opera work seamlessly.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
No matter what I 've done safari 5.0 won't load any pages, nada, the blue bar (which btw is very distracting) just gets stuck at 1/5 and nothing loads. I 've reinstalled it countless times....

And I 've tried everything except re-installing os x. Which of course I am not prepared to do for obvious reasons. I now had to get pacifist to reinstall safari 4.05. It's just so strange that 5.0 won't work while every other browser I have, the boring ff and the great opera work seamlessly.
Export your bookmarks (File > Export Bookmarks) and then delete the following;

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Safari
/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

This will remove all Safari preferences and should resolve your issue. Also make sure you have no nonsense in your InputMethods folder.

/Library/Input Methods/

If you have something in there called CT_Loader, remove it, and restart.

Also, in Safari, go to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website". If the Google database that runs that option, or you have something in a firewall or your network connection blocking it, you'll have similar issues.

Once all of that is done, import your bookmarks.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for the help buddy, and for taking the time to write this, I 've done most of what you suggest already, except for the input methods. But my input methods folder is empty.

I also tried turning off the firewall, exempting safari from it, etc. etc.

I have not tried un-checking the fraudulent sites, but I will do so, in the future when I gather up the courage to re-install 5.0, because at the moment I am so relieved that at least 4.05 runs.

I also wonder if this version of safari is at all optimised for ppc. I would really like to see some memory footprint, speed, etc. tests comparing the this and the previous version on ppc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.