Safari: 557MB RAM usage / 2.4 GB Virtual

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdf8585, Nov 27, 2006.

1. rdf8585 macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2006
    Is anything ever going to be done to fix these outrageous memory leaks? Although not this high, these types of insane memory usage numbers happen often. A lot of people talk about FF memory leaks in the PC world, but those are nothing compared to this. I'm getting a ton of pageouts because of this, and I don't think I should be paging out on a GB of RAM doing menial tasks like browsing etc.

Here's my activity monitor... I'm only been using Macs for a year, but if there's 300 MB of "inactive" RAM why isn't it being used to prevent these pageouts? Seems like big waste to have so much being "inactive" when the system is paging out.

As far as maintenance goes, I run Onyx often so I don't neglect those tasks. I have plenty of free HD space, more than 80% empty.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you keep Safari open for prolonged amounts of time, or are you using many tabs? ...Both of those have been known to cause problems.
  3. rdf8585 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2006
    A few hours with 1 window, 2 tabs at most open.

The simple answer is to use another browser, but while I'm partial to FF on a PC, Safari is the best Mac browser.... it's a shame it has such a glaring problem, though.
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    My Safari has been over 900 MB. I feel your pain.
  5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Safari has never gone over 100mb in my experiences. I suggest using another browser.
  6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    I believe the most RAM I've ever seen Safari use was something like 450MB. Most of the time, I have a bunch of tabs open. I usually just close it once it starts using a lot of RAM, then just open it back up. It's not a huge problem, but it's one of my only annoyances with Safari. It's still my favorite browser, though.