Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I like Chrome because I've always used it. I tried Safari, it was just lacking that familiar feel and use. Plus, the extensions. I use YouTubeDownloader all the time. And I know there are options for the Safari that are similar, and I've tried them. They are very clunky and awkward to use, especially that HTML5 one. Safari would load the flash player on YouTube, and then change the player to the HTML5 one. That took extra time, which probably wouldn't be an issue with my home cable internet, but on this slow wifi I have at the moment, its irritating. Plus, the player was annoying itself.

I'll stick with Chrome. It just works for me.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
since i also use windows machines, it makes more sense to use chrome, that synchronizes my extensions, booksmarks, passwords etc.

not sure what safari can store in the icloud, but the windows version of safari is so bad...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
IThat's a pretty big call. I would never under estimate the ability of people out there to reverse engineer APIs/protocols.

iCloud is restricted to Apple'sApp Stores. which uses developer IDs of which you have to sign up for.

Anybody trying to bypass this will have their ID/certificate pulled and banned from ever submitting apps again. Nobody's going to try that and especially, not Google.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Safari > Chrome. Chrome lags like an old grandmother whereas Safari is a Bugatti. Plus, Safari doesn't track my usage like Chrome does. I have an iPhone and iPad, Safari offers better iCloud syncing stuff. Chrome on iPhone is amateur at best. It's got a extremely polished UI but it severely lacks function. Plus, Safari has Reader and is faster. The UI is not as flashy but it looks just as good and performance is even better. Safari FTW.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Safari 6 is great but they just need to fix the graphics tearing issues I'm having on my rMBP. It's getting annoying. Otherwise it's a great browser.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
I really can't choose.
I've been using Chrome for years now, but ever since I installed ML, I've been using Safari.

I get the feeling Chrome is faster, but I kinda like the way Safari looks.
I just want to give it a try.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Safari 6 is awesome! Very fast! I've been using Safari for about 3 years now, and it has really improved recently. I love the speed of it and iCloud tabs. The only thing I can think of that can improve is the icon, which is why I use the Simply Safari icon for it. Simply Safari Icon_128x128.png

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You can prefer Safari all you want, but you have to recognize that Safari wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if Google hadn't done a goatload of work making Webkit faster for Chrome.

I'm pretty sure Apple does a lot for Webkit as well, they're the one who started the webkit2 project that made their browser a better multi-threading app, not to mention they're the one who open-sourced it.

In addition, Chrome's not faster because of webkit alone, it's faster because of the major work that Google have done on their javascript engine, V8.

Apple has a different engine called Nitro Extreme and the javascript improvements they're done in Safari 6 is theirs alone and has nothing to do with Google.

nonukez

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
It depends.

It really depends on your usage, since at this point the two browsers seem pretty much equal for regular usage. And yes, probably the benchmarks will show that one is better than the other, but unless you're a very heavy user, it won't matter as much.

It's pretty simple: if you use Safari on other iOS devices, Safari 6.0 can't be beat, especially with the tighter integration. If you use Chrome on your iOS devices or have an Android, then Chrome is the obvious answer.

And of course lastly, if you only use your Mac, then it depends on Extensions. Chrome destroys Safari on extensions, no contest. If you rely on extensions, stick with Chrome, because Safari's extensions list has barely grown over the past few years and very infrequent updates.

Also, I see some people saying that Chrome crashes all the time. There must be something malfunctioning with their computer, or a bad installation, since majority of people do not have such problems, myself included. If they did, Chrome wouldn't be so popular on Mac as it is today. Common sense.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I fail to see your point. Dev and Canary are none release versions. They are going to have bugs like this.

Quit trolling.
All 4 releases of Chrome are f'd up on the Retina MBP.
Stable Release - No Retina support. All Fuzzy everythings.
Dev/Canary/Beta - Flash Videos in fullscreen only fill up the top left quadrant of the screen.

I was using Canary until it all of a sudden got that bug, then I switched to the Dev channel. Then yesterday the Dev channel's version got "upgraded" and the flash bug appeared in it.

Ridiculous how the Canary bug was documented weeks ago, and they decide to push out the same bug to the dev channel. Very frustrating. Get your act together Google.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Have been ranting in this very post about how good Chrome is. But on ONE device I personally think Safari is better. But since I'm using different computers every day, Chrome is the best solution. Safari doesnt have the same cross platform sync that Chrome does.

However, since I also have two Macs, I with try Safari with ML. See how everything works between them.

What data form Safari is stored in the cloud? Reading List but what else?

Last edited:

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I fail to see your point. Dev and Canary are none release versions. They are going to have bugs like this.

Quit trolling.

Protip: Criticism of a product you like is not "trolling". Stop considering viewpoints that differ from yours as "hating" and try to get educated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.