Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Sometimes when I right click on a link and select "open link in new tab" Safari 6 crashes. So far I've mostly noticed this on MacRumors and my online bank teller account. I know I can't be the only one with this problem.

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
i am also having a lot of crashes and freezes for safari. when draggin new tabs to make a window my whole computer freezes for 2 minutes or so. Also opening a new window creates the same problem. this mostly happens when i have lots of tabs open or using flash on something like netflix or youtube. i have since moved to chrom and dont understand why everyone saying it feels "snappier" when it just freezes the computer a problem i hoped i would leave behind on windows.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Safari has always been a crash prone browser. A few minutes ago it crashed by simply pressing command+z to restore a closed tab.

BPeter

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I have had 3 crashes so far since installing ML. Since Safari crashing freezes my MBP, I decided to switch over to Chrome - at least for now.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Do any of you have any extensions installed? I get that issue as well and it's irritating. I was wondering whether it's due to Adblock or not.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Sometimes when I right click on a link and select "open link in new tab" Safari 6 crashes. So far I've mostly noticed this on MacRumors and my online bank teller account. I know I can't be the only one with this problem.

Same issue here, three times today. No sure if it Ghostry or not I will have to test. I get no crash report.

deepz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
safari crashing

i am also having the same issue. As said, it usually happens when multiples tabs are opened

JDThird

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
I've had nonstop problems with Safari since Mountain Lion came out. Half the time if I right click and choose "open in new window" it quits safari altogether, all windows. Happens when I have several, happens if I have just the one window open. Sometimes it just quits when clicking a link to keep in the same window as well. And very odd behavior and lag for things like Hotmail. I ended up having to install Chrome simply because of all the issues I've had so far. I don't prefer Chrome though, so i'm patiently waiting for an update for Safari, hoping maybe it's resolved.

Tried with and without extensions installed, hoping maybe I could narrow it down that way, but no difference.

Jenni8

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
CA
I've had this same issue since the upgrade to Mountain Lion until 10.8.2. So far it hasn't crashed at all and it was doing it quite a bit before.

JDThird

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
Unfortunately for me the only problem 10.8.2 fixed was an ACDSee 2 problem... Safari still does the exact same thing.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
I'm having this exact same issue and came here to find if others were too. Sometimes when I open a link in a new tab, Safari immediately quits with no report or anything. It's VERY irritating and started with Mountain Lion. I do have a few extensions such as click-to-flash and adblock installed.

It's getting to the point to where I'm wary of using Safari, especially with anything important like online exams and such.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
I've had a few instances of Safari crashing my computer. Specifically, I'll be scolling down a page and the screen seems to, for lack of a better word, glich. For example, I was going through Google image search and was scrolling down when it gliched, the tool bars disappeared and there was a sort of shift to the right. I can still move my curser but I can't quit Safari, can't change spaces, can't do anything but move my curser. I have to do a hard reset (holding the power button) until the computer restarts.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Not sure why Apple is taking so long to fix this issue. Irritating!
Switched over to Chrome...

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Same issues here. Mostly with multiple tabs open and Gizmodo seems to be the culprit most often.

ktmelvis

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
The Enchanted Forest
Yup, safari 6.0.2 is crashing like a driver in china, Ive never had many crashes on the previous versions, just for the hell of it, I did a wipe and load on one of my macs just to see if a clean install would do anything, and safari 6.0.2 crashed the same, I would have to say, yes there is a problem with 6.0.2, and the crashing if often, I would have to ask, did everybody let their hair down in Cupertino, because if they did, they are into a whack of problems, there have been a ton of problems at Apple and in such a short time frame, the f**ck ups just keep coming, and I include ios6 (maps and other stuff), most everybody here has experienced some kind of major problem on their selected device from Apple, I find it hard to believe that there are so many problems coming out of Apple at one time, something changed, and something has to be changed.
This is just my opinion, but I have been keeping a watch on things, and I will stick to my comment.

Thanks
KTMELVIS the original (about the handle, I was drunk when I made it up)

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I have the same issue. It crashes at least once per day. I have only adblock installed. I doubt is it adblock causing the crashes..

JDThird

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
Crashing stopped for me on 6.0.2.

Unfortunately not for me - 6.0.2 still has the same problem, just as frequent for me. I have Chrome pinned to the dock now, and use that most of the time although I still prefer safari... Just patiently waiting for an update and crossing fingers that at some point it's resolved...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.