safari a RAM hog on intel macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmapples, Mar 14, 2006.

1. mmapples macrumors member

does safari take up an unusually high amount of resources running on the intel macs?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of resources are we talking about? What are the figures? Are you running it in Rosetta? :)

3. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I thought Safari was already a Universal program?

On my iBook, Safari generally uses about 40MB RAM.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, but to the best of my knowledge you can choose whether to run it natively on Intel or under Rosetta, through Get Info. I don't have an Intel mac so I can't confirm this. However, I imagine running it under Rosetta would increase the workload. :)

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've seen it's Virtual Memory requirements hit 2Gb on my MacBook Pro! It often has hundreds of megs of real RAM. I think it has some memory leaks as it's usage tends to build over time. I simply quit and restart it every so often...

6. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Try Firefox on the PC if you want to see memory leaks :mad:

especially if your connection terminates unexpected:(

7. emaja macrumors 68000

Since it is a hog on PPC, there is no reason that it wouldn't also be a hog on Intel.

That is the main reason that I swiched to Camino.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Interesting. I'm using FireFox on a PC right now. It's been running for around 3 days surfing as per usual. Memory usage at the moment is 85Mb. Not too bad.

9. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ah! Thanks for that! Didn't realise that!

My friend has had loads of problems with Safari on his 17" Intel iMac, it just keeps crashing, maybe this will help him! :)

10. LunchBox8484 macrumors member

After doing a lot of browsing on my MBP, I've seen it hit up to 125mb, but once you close Safari it goes away.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd get your friend to first Reset Safari from the Safari menu and if that does nothing, then maybe drag a file named com.apple.Safari.plist to the Desktop whilst Safari is closed. This is assuming there are no hacks installed in Safari, of course.

Most hacks only run on the PPC version at this stage (hence the usefulness of being able to choose which version of Safari to run) and can do pretty strange things to Intel versions of Safari. :)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like Safari started to have some serious memory leak issues in Tiger. I'm not 100% sure if they're gone on PPCs with 10.4.5 or not. But I know that I've had to periodically quit and re-start Safari because, after a week or two, it gets bogged down. :( I'm not sure if it's just the same going on with the MBP or not.

There are some Safari plug-ins that are still only PPC code, right? When you use a Safari plug-in, such as Flash, if it were running under Rosetta, where would you see the RAM usage hit? Under Rosetta, or under Safari, or under Flash? I guess this probably isn't the issue, though.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I have to quit Safari each night to prevent some bizarre behaviour. It's annoying, but not annoying enough for me to look into other browsers. The last weird thing to happen for me was that it wouldn't let me write in text boxes. The bizarre thing was I could paste from another app into text boxes here, but only after I'd clicked Submit once and been shown the "Not Enough Characters" page. It made for a less-than-spamalicious mad jew. :(

I know, you guys probably loved it. :D

14. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Thanks mad jew! I shall tell him!

Don't think he's put any hacks on. This was literally the same hour he had opened the box it was crashing galore!

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How bizarre. That's not cool. :(

Good luck with it.

16. webcookie macrumors member

I have an iBook G4 and Safari sometimes uses up to 200mb RAM. I don't think it's an issue with just Intel Macs.