safari add-ons?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petercw2, Mar 17, 2003.

1. petercw2 macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    sorry, a switcher\newbie here..

what do you use for video and audio in Safari? Can you add Mac versions of Real Player or WMP ?
  2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Re: safari add-ons?

Yeah, I've installed both Windows Media Player and RealOne Player on my computer for use with browsers.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    I would also get the safari enhancer to open the debug menu.

There are like 20 add-ons, check
  4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Get RealOne, Win Media Player, update Flash, and makes sure you have Shockwave Player installed. You will also probably want to get PDF Browser Plugin since it makes viewing PDF files online similar to that of Windows and Mac OS 9, where you see the PDF file within the browser.
  5. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    OK, downloaded all of these... how do I get them to play inside of Safari?

ex: instaled WMP, but I cannot get it to open inside of site that uses that (ex: msnbc high speed)

shockwave seems to be working..
  6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Thusfar, i have not been able to get either Real or WMP to function properly in Safari-- i just don't think the integration is ready yet. I keep a copy of IE around for stuff like that, if i need it...

i'm hoping very much for a new beta release that helps with these filetypes...

an interesting FYI, instead of each browser having it's own location for plugins in X (like it was in 9) now there's a folder for all web browser plugins-- makes switching browsers easier...

7. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003

Is that the "interner plug-in" folder found in the system folder?

so. you just drop WMP in there? Or Real Player?

What do you have in there, all i have is three quicktime files.
  8. grobbins macrumors member

Dec 2, 2002
    Simply launching the RealOne Player for Mac OS X application will put an alias to the RealOne Player browser plug-in into the Internet Plug-ins folder.

The Windows Media Player installer should install its browser plug-in, too.

Safari generally works with the RealOne Player browser plug-in, but the plug-ins were tested with Internet Explorer, before Safari's release.
  9. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    It did not.. Is there a way I can put it in?
  10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    this was my question too. how come WMP doesnt load the movie when you click on a link?