Safari Address Bar and URL auto complete

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sphereboy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

Lately, whenever i put let's say "macrumors" in the address bar of Safari without putting the www or the .com it will not resolve to the actual website. This happens with any URL i put without the www or .com

It was not like this before. has something changed?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Nope, it was always this way. I remember that 1.3 in panther did it. It basically looks up what you put in, then if it doesn't find a .something at the end, it will add .com for you. If it can't find the domain with .com, then it will fail. Type in something that can't be a domain, then you will see it change it to www. something .com then fail. type in asdfghjklp seems to not be a domain.

3. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I get that part. But anytime i would put lets say, 'publix' it would find www.publix.com but now it won't even go to it. Maybe it is something to do with my local network settings. something with DNS? .. i know something is not behaving how it was before.

still going to get to the bottom of this.

4. yenko macrumors 6502a

Reset Safari and try again.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

is there a way to make safari auto-complete like firefox?

In firefox I can put "myspace iron maiden" and it automatically takes me there. Safari just gives me an error.

I guess something like "Keywurl" but for any site.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its not really auto complete in firefox, its more like "history search"+"google feeling luck" search combo

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

thats not a safari thing, that's actually your ISPs DNS system. over the years they've added the functionality to add first http://, then the www, now .com. Some still don't do it. Maybe your ISP reverted to some older DNS software, or you're on a different and older DNS server now, that might change.

My macbook can resolve "macrumors" at home, and at my girlfriends house, but not at school or my parents', because of the different DNS systems.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i have trouble believing that, are you sure about this? any source?

9. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

dude lookup DNS, don't just say "that sounds weird" and tell me I'm not credible.

what you type into the address bar goes EXACTLY AS YOU TYPE IT to your ISPs DNS lookup server. you type "macrumors", safari sends "macrumors" to the DNS server asking for the IP associated with "macrumors". most DNS servers are smart enough to know you mean "http://www.macrumors.com", so it gives safari back the IP for MR and tells it to correct it's address bar to "http://www.macrumors.com". That correction at the end is the same as when you type "ipod.com" and it jumps a couple of times, under instruction from the DNS server, before getting to apple.com/itunes

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can confirm what chaos86 is entirely true. :D

Note: I use OpenDNS.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, easy, Im not accusing you of lying, I was simply having trouble believing that, and apparently thats because I knew nothing about the issue, which I will admit in front any any evidence, or in this case, confirmation from some guy who I knew is knowledgeable, again, not saying you are not, just I don't know you that much. :)

however, I do think even if this is not safari's fault, there is place safari can improve, such as what firefox has been doing, just use google's feeling luck for the url bar...

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've played around with this in FireFox 3 Beta 2. At least I believe that's what you're talking about.

I find Inquisitor 3 to be much more responsive and accurate.

Remember your mileage and application preferences may vary. I had been using FireFox 2 until Leopard hit.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, google's feeling luck is in firefox 2 already,

I think inquisitor is a better option for urlbar/search bar search. firefox 3 does not offer similar function, it only searches in the history, google search only happens after you press "enter"

14. JPS macrumors regular

I've had the same problems since upgrading to Leopard. My URLs no longer complete, and I'm directed to a Verizon search page.

Perhaps there's a way to change the DNS that won't affect your settings or connections, but will allow you to have your URLs completed?

15. AaronShep macrumors newbie

It's in Leopard.

This is partly an OSX issue. I'm getting the same problem on the latest version of Leopard, 10.5.6, but not on Tiger, 10.4.11. But it also seems to have to do with your DNS servers. According to what I've read, some of them, like Verizon, "hijack" incomplete URLs, so Safari's function doesn't work. OpenDNS also hijacks it, but then completes the URL itself.