Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rackyack m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
I got a pop up on my IPhone 6s saying
Your Apple Device has been locked, due to security reasons. You are advised to call the number the helpline number +1 800-914-1792 as soon as possible.

Please do not use your device it may lead to stealing of data, contacts and personal information.

Kindly speak to the customer care representative in order to get this resolved. Call Support for Apple now on +1 800-914-1792.
I know this is a scam and I know not to call the number but I heard the hacker wants you to plug your phone into your computer so he can steal your information but I didn't call so can I plug my phone into my computer or can I never do that again? I also want to know if the hackers are watching me through the iPhone camera. What information of me do they have? Please help (I already figured out how to get rid of the pop up)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    101 KB · Views: 650

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's just a web pop-up and nothing else. Nothing changed or is going on with the device itself nor can anything take information or connect to your computer or anything like that. (This is assuming your device isn't jailbroken and you didn't install something that might be questionable on it.)

Basically similar to another ongoing thread at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-malware-need-help.1960358/

Reactions: Rackyack m

Rackyack m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
These type of pop-ups have become quite prevalent lately. Another pop-up I have encountered won't let me close the tab and I have to clear the browser's data. I hope they do something about these pop-ups.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These type of pop-ups have become quite prevalent lately. Another pop-up I have encountered won't let me close the tab and I have to clear the browser's data. I hope they do something about these pop-ups.
Content blockers seem to be one potential solutions it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.