Safari and Ajax...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doowrehs, Apr 21, 2006.

1. doowrehs macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2004
    Hi there...

Just wondering if Safari is actually Ajax compliant yet - and (if not), when it's likely to be (unfortunately I don't keep up with the developer's blog and nightly builds). My reasons for asking are that 2 of my favourite sites...

...are Ajax-based, but deem Safari as not being up-to-date technology wise, and hence not useable (Writely doesn't even display properly in Safari). I can't believe that Apple would fall behind on something like this, so is it actually a case that the site developers aren't coding for compatibility with Safari?

Any input much appreciated.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Safari supports the vast majority of Ajax-related stuff, but there are a few areas it's still lacking in. I'm not 100% sure what these are, but apparently some sites use them, so these sites don't quite work right in Safari.

Either that, or the webmasters haven't tested the latest Safari against their web sites.
  3. maximile macrumors member

Oct 27, 2003
    Herefordshire, UK
    I think the main problem with those two pages is that they require the browser to allow styled text in input boxes. Safari doesn't do that yet.

Did I hear somewhere that that feature has been announced for a future update? Or was that something else?
  4. doowrehs thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks very much for the feedback! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully the missing functionality will be incorporated sooner rather than later...
  5. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    I will agree, it does suck that Writely doesn't yet work in Safari, but I have had no problem using it in Camino, and I would imagine the same goes for FireFox, though I have not tested it.

Probably not telling you anything you didn't already know.
  6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Yes, its going into Safari as detailed here: