Safari and ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleung, Mar 4, 2006.

1. cleung macrumors regular

Has anyone had any problem listing items to sell on Ebay using Safari? I've never had this problem until now I'm trying to list things with my new MacBook Pro and updated Safari. Every time I get to the page where you list your starting price and photos I can't continue or go back. I can go back using the back button but if I hit "Previous" or "Continue", it brings me back to the ebay home page. Has anyone experienced this??

2. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Yes, I have had similar experiences in the past, try Firefox or Camino.

3. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Just making sure it's not my MacBook Pro! I used Explorer and it worked but I hate Microsoft! Looks like I'll have to get Firefox.

4. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I haven't experienced that problem and I listed an item a day ago. It may possible be something in the UB version of Safari running on your MBP that is having a little hic-up.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

It works fine for me when I use it. I tend to use iSale 3 most of the time. It's such a sweet application. :D

6. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

7. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Yepp!

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

There is an interesting software for Mac called iSale. You can do 3 auctions, for free in the demo.

Just be sure to get the auction right, before you submit. It takes a few minutes, to learn all the features. I'm not positive I like it, but it's an idea.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm using GarageSale. It has the same purpose. It's not perfect and the interface needs a little work but it's OK.

10. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Yes, the problem seems to be in the HTTP_AGENT identification string that the browser sends. It is identical to the power pc string, except it has Intel instead of PPC. I tried this in Firefox and Safari and both times it would not work. There are two work arounds that I found.

1) Run Safari using Rosetta, then it shows up as PPC again.
    2) Using 'Safari Enhancer' software, you can change the browser identification string to be Mozilla(Windows), this also works.

I sent an email to ebay's help last week about this, but have not heard anything back. It would appear to be a bug in their code.

11. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info!! How do I run Safari using Rosetta?

12. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Open Finder, click on Applications, go down to Safari in the list. Now right click on it (or CMD-Click or whatever it is). Then click on Get Info. Look for the checkbox in the middle that says "open using rosetta". You probably will not want to leave it like that after you get done using eBay, as there is a noticable slowdown.