Safari and Javascript

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ThatGirl, Sep 19, 2004.

1. ThatGirl macrumors regular

I have had some problems with javascript codes on certain sites (Proboards, for instance), when using Safari, that I don't have when using an old version of IE. I would much rather use Safari. Is there something I can do to make the javascript coded sites work better in Safari?

I'm on an iMac G4, using Jaguar. (I also use an iMac G3, but figured I'd have more luck trying on the newer iMac.)

Thanks! :)

2. raytube macrumors member

Javascript

Hi,
    It may be that the site uses Javascript that only works on IE, some sites only work under IE on Pc which is even worse.
    You could check that you have the latest version of Safari as there may have been issues in earlier versions.
    One other option if you want to use another alternative to IE is to use the FireFox browser, http://www.getfirefox.com/ . It's a really good browser.

Cheers,

Rick

3. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, you can't get the newest version of Safari because it requires Panther, and you have Jaguar. I'd highly recommend using a different browser, such as Firefox, or upgrading if you must use Safari.

5. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

My son has Panther on his new laptop. Can his version of Panther be used on my iMac G4?

6. James L macrumors 6502a

You should always validate your JavaScripts to make sure there is no errors and that they comply to the ECMA standards (i.e.... no proprietary code). The easiest way to do this is to have Netscape Navigator on your computer, open the page in it, and then type this:

javascript:

...in the address bar. It will validate your code in the javascript console.

Also, if you post your code here I can probably help you with it.

Cheers!

James

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think you've misunderstood

ThatGirl is viewing websites where the JavaScript doesn't work right in Safari V1.0, not creating them. Validating JavaScripts won't help because the scripts in question don't belong to ThatGirl.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not legally. It might well install and work though. The CDs (or DVD) that come with a Mac are only licensed for that machine. You should buy a licensed copy of Panther, or wait for Tiger

9. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, my son also said I should just wait for Tiger.

I didn't mean to suggest something illegal. Even when you buy a program, you are not legally allowed to load onto your own two computers? It hasn't come up before, so I hadn't really thought about it. I can see why you wouldn't share it at work, but it doesn't seem fair at home.

Well, anyway, I'll just buy Tiger and save myself the worry. :)

Thanks!

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It depends on the license. Usually it's for only one computer, at least at a time. (some licenses allow you to load it on as many computers as you want, but only one can be using the software at a time. That might work for something like Office, if you have a home computer and a laptop. Might).

Also, if your son is in school, he might be eligible for a student discount on Panther. It's only about $50 that way (maybe less), and might be worth considering.

11. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular