Safari and Leopard... Will they improve Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtrctyjoe, Mar 3, 2007.

1. mtrctyjoe macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

I love my Mac... but I hate to say it - IE on my $299 Dell provides me with a much more satisfying browsing experience (everything else about it is a waste of space). IE is much faster and plays nice with way more sites. I hate having to use things like Flip for MAC and other third party things to speed it up. It has gotten so frustrating I now use Camino as my MAC browser exclusively... which does not sync with .MAC and does not have some of the cool features (but it SCREAMS!).

I just hope they do something with Safari in Leopard... I could care less about the other updates, OSX Tiger works great for me, except for Safari...

If anyone hears anything about Safari updates I would appreciate you adding it to this thread. This is a GREAT FORUM!!!

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there will be lots of general code based updating, also there is the ability to search key words in sites and a quick link to make a widget from a portion of a website, i wouldnt count on it reading site created with IE in mind any better though, thats just bad website design.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Now that would be waaay cool. I could have five surf cams at my fingertips without loading all the other fluff that never gets updated! I would buy Leopard for this feature!:D

4. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

I realize some of it is poor site design, but Camino is just so much faster on my Mac then Safari.... pages load almost instantly. I just hope they improve the speed of Safari.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it's Mac. not all capitals. just the M.

Safari is good - i don't think you're giving it enough credit. it takes a while to get used to but it's just as fast (if not faster) than Camino on my MBP (2.0Ghz CD, 2GB).

i don't see what's wrong with using Flip4Mac - you download it, install it, and you're done. it's not like you have to configure it or open the program manually each time you want to watch something. and to be fair, IE requires plug-ins just like any other browser - if you don't have Quicktime installed on your Windows machine, a site with QT movies won't play the movies. and you need Adobe Reader to view PDFs, whereas with Safari it's built-into the browser via Preview.

6. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

strange i find that all the browsers load as fast on my computer equally, in part probably because of my connection... but anyway you should go try out http://webkit.org/, while not 100% perfect and it is beta webkit is the foundation to safari and most likely these improvements will be in 10.5, however no guarantee with plugin support.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You may have a favorite site which was coded specifically for Gecko, the Camino/FireFox/Seamonkey brower engine, while simultaneously having an issue with Safari. As a general proposition, however, most Mac browsers render webpages on most sites at roughly the same speed.

8. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

One of the issues with Safari is .NET compatibility and web applications that use . NET. The performance must improve. I have too many customers (educational and scientific community) complaing that the must download Firefox to use many day to day applciations.

9. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

It may not be the answer, but I'd blame .net over safari. .net is just a horrible platform. :eek:

10. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

You can run the latest version of webkit right now. You can use nightshift (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/18700) to keep up with the latest version. I've been using it for a few weeks and I love it. It's not going to solve all of your issues as I don't think you really understand why IE works better with more websites (IE really is a horrible browser), but at least you know what to expect when the new version of Safari is available.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A thread about how "great" IE is compared to Safari... :rolleyes: There should be a guide about why IE is fast yet is widely considered the worst browser.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im sure leopard will have improved safari, but i doubt the difference between IE and safari 2.x will change much in version 3. On that side, firefox may provide you better chance, for now.

13. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

No matter how horrible it is, people are using it for development everywhere. Firefox works fine with .NET apps - Safari should too.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm really looking forward to Core Animation's 'find' function in Safari...it is one of only a few things IMO that Firefox does better than Safari now...