Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garybooberry

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Annapolis, MD
Something seems to be wrong with the html rendering machine in Safari (1.2.1) on my G4 (stats below). On a cold boot and first launch of Safari or Mail I get the following gobbledy-gook:

Image-FAB714FA90B611D8.jpg

Once I shut down and restart both Mail and Safari, the problem dissapears. I've zapped al my preferences, repaired permissions, zapped PRAM, cleared cache, cleared history, cleared cookies...all to no avail.

Ideas?

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Im not sure how you would fix that problem, but you could always delete safari and mail, then re-install. Make sure you delete the preferences too.

Just remember to download those two apps before you delete safari or else you will be without a browser. ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
garybooberry said:
Something seems to be wrong with the html rendering machine in Safari (1.2.1) on my G4 (stats below). On a cold boot and first launch of Safari or Mail I get the following gobbledy-gook:

Image-FAB714FA90B611D8.jpg

Once I shut down and restart both Mail and Safari, the problem dissapears. I've zapped al my preferences, repaired permissions, zapped PRAM, cleared cache, cleared history, cleared cookies...all to no avail.

Ideas?
My first suggestion would be to reset Safari (it's in the Safari menu). If that doesn't help, check your default encoding in the preferences. Is that set to something it shouldn't be (something Windows or not in the language you use)? If changing the encoding fixes the problem, but it comes back, I suspect a language order issue in System Preferences is the root cause of your problem. Check the language order in the International tab of System Preferences. Is your primary language listed first? If it isn't, change it, then check the encoding in Safari to see if that's okay. If all is good after this, your problem should go away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.