Safari and Mail problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by The Mighty 38, Jul 11, 2004.

1. The Mighty 38 macrumors newbie

Safari crashed on me today and since then I can't start it with out it crashing immediately that it trys to load the home page. I have downloaded Safari and reinstalled it with no luck and I have reinstalled 10.3 again with no luck and I have repaired permissions too. It seems to just be my account on the computer as when I log in to other accounts Safari runs no problem, unfortunately my account is the admin account so I cant just delete it and start again. This problem also effects Mail as any page with html encoding seems to crash mail too... any one got any clues on this one cause I am stuck!

thanks.

TM38

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Have you tried deleting your preferences files?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you deleted any fonts lately (Helvetica to be exact)? Some of Apples own apps (Safari, Mail and iCal) stops working if the original Helvetica is missing or corrupt...

4. The Mighty 38 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't removed any fonts lately and they all seem to be there. The reinstall would have restored any crucial fonts that were missing. I had a look for preferences but I cant see any for Safari... what is the safari preference file name?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

com.apple.Safari.plist - it's located in ~/Library/Preferences/ where ~ is your user folder.

6. The Mighty 38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it, deleted it still no joy :(

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Odds are good that either a corrupt font in your Fonts folder or a corrupt preference file in your preferences folder is to blame. Try moving ~/Library/Fonts to your desktop, then relaunching Safari and Mail. If they work, a bad font was the cause. If they don't, then do the same thing with ~/Library/Preferences and retest.

8. The Mighty 38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success! It must have been the fonts all along.Thanks very much I can stop using crap Internet Explorer now :)

Thanks again.

TM38.