Safari and Mail taking AN AGE to start up...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James Philp, Apr 16, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

From 10.3.8 and into 10.3.9 safari and mail take up to 2 minutes or so to start up on my iMac G4, but NOT my PB G3? What is going on?
    Anyone else have this problem, and know how to solve it?
    (I have chucked preferences (well replaced them in mail's case), repaired permissions, rebooted - you know, all the basic things)
    One thing that's weird is that it seems to be across all accounts on the iMac, (well all 2!) but the other account is NEVER used!? What the hell is up!?
    Please help, i'm stumped!

P.S. They're slow even with no other apps running, tons of memory free, and i'm on a college network of like 10MBps! :mad:

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Might be a font issue.
    Try disabling your third-party fonts.(Fontbook)
    Check for duplicates while you're at it.

3. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hmm, never would have considered that!
    Will try resolving duplicates, but how do i disable all 3rd part fonts? and is ths something I really want to do?

4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Create sets of third-party fonts for various projects using Fontbook.
    (much like the sets already included, such as "PDF", "Web", "Fun" etc...)
    You can then quickly enable/disable the sets as needed.

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

6. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hmph, read original post.

(much like the sets already included, such as "PDF", "Web", "Fun" etc...)
    You can then quickly enable/disable the sets as needed.

I Acutally did this, ran into problems. But, the fonts are exactly the same as on my G3 powerbook which doesn't have these issues?
    Is it because I'm sharing the internet connection from my imac? (Camino works fine, as does every other 3rd Party browser)
    Could it be something to do with the way i've tried to syncronise my macs (I recently tried to drag mail stuff from my PB, and was using that for a few months while in Uni. and went back to iMac) Safari (iMac) used to beachball for ever when I tried to edit bookmarks, now it just takes about 2 mins to open on the iMac. (But bookmarks seem ok when it does get there).

God it's annoying, but I guess only another couple of weeks till tiger!

7. oldpismo macrumors member

I have the same problem. It was fine before the last lot of updates (the ones after 3.9, i.e. security and java) but since then safari takes an age to start.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

John Gruber recently wrote about the font cache issue, the article might be helpful.

9. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Upgrading to 10.3.9 also slowed down Mail and Safari for me. However, Mail and Safari are much much much much much much faster in Tiger.. starting up and using..

10. efoto macrumors 68030

Not sure how your network is setup but we are having problems on a windows network using auto-proxy-config, and by we I mean myself and one other colleague that came here for the last week (we are abroad for business). Mail will not connect to any other account save for the WOA Exchange server that my company uses (imagine that :p) and Safari won't even get a page because the APC through SystemPrefs doesn't seem to take for some reason.

Point of all this....to help you out perhaps, none of this happened before x.3.9 other than the not being able to check non-work mail accounts. Since x.3.9 (after Java update, as recommended by AppleCare) I cannot get Safari to work at all, and now even Firefox (which has a specific in-app spot for APC and that seems to work) hangs nearly every other page! It is incredibly annoying....perhaps similar to what you are dealing with. If I launch Mail.app when the network cable is plugged in, it bounces for nearly 30 seconds before actually openning. A quick unplug of network cable and boom, app launches and everything is fine....stupid APC :mad:

11. oldpismo macrumors member

I'm just on a wireless network straight out to the internet, so that's not my problem. I have tried a couple of things but still no luck.

12. efoto macrumors 68030

Alright then, sorry about that rant. I just thought out of some glint of chance perhaps you had a similar problem.

I am quite new to Mac systems, but is it possible that you have some form of a 'virus' or similarly agressive piece of software?

13. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I have a suggestion. What is the name of your hard drive on the slow computer?

If you have any bizarre or nonstandard characters in it's name, it can cause these types of problems. It happened to me when I put a ? in the HD name. All of the sudden apps would stop loading, or load very slowly. Sometimes in Safari the app would launch but no browser window would appear and I couldn't get one to appear.

14. oldpismo macrumors member

Don't worry about the rant, all thoughts are useful. I don't think that it is any aggressive software. I believe that it is more likely to be some browser plug-in or other software that does not work with the new version of Safari. Not quite sure how I can find out exactly what though, but I have seen postings of others having the same effect.

The hard drive name hasn't changed. The only change was installing 10.3.9

:confused:

15. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Try logging out, then log back in.
    For some reason this fixes a similar issue I've experienced with Mail, Safari and Disk Utility.

16. oldpismo macrumors member

Logging off and on didn't help it, it only failed on the first attempt after boot anyway. However, I arrived home last night with a pile of suggestions at hand only to find that it was working again. I don't know what my wife did to fix it, but I do know it was only by accident.

iPhoto had lost all my photos though. Thank goodness for backups.

Peter

17. Le Samourai macrumors newbie

What about adding the networks' DNS servers to system preferences > network > tcp/ip settings.

I'm sure that helps to resolve some safari startup problems.

Edit: Oops, just read... working again! :)

18. efoto macrumors 68030

Of course she could not have actually fixed it, computers are not in her 'skillset' as a woman :p