Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skbodypiercing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Japan
I am new to this whole forum thing, so please bare with me.
I hope I am putting this thread in the right catagory.

Anyway, I use MySpace rather frequently, well, I am a junkie.LOL
I really want to use my Safari, well for many reasons. However, if I try to use Safari I seem to have the problem of, once I sign in, there is no problem.
When I go to do ANYTHING else(Click on any other function or page), that where the problem begins. Rather than take me to where it is supposed to it prompts me to sign in again.

Are my settings wrong or what?
Also if I enter the URL for my profile page or anyone elses directly, there is supposed to be music playing. I suppose from the media player.
To try and solve these problems I did several things...I installed another browser.Netscape.That cured my first problem above but the media player still persisits. There is an empty white box where the media player goes.
So I downloaded several types of media players. Still that dosent work.

So I gave up on the media player aspect.

I would like to solve the browser issue. I would like to use Safari. Plus Netscape keeps freezing up.

Is there any solution to my problem. :confused:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do not have a solution, but I can tell you that I have been on myspace a few times and there have been no issues.

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
Yeah, I'm a myspace junkie too. Safari used to always change the way people's layouts looked, even mine - cause one day I was surfing around on my Dad's PC and came across my page and it looked hideous! I was like "wtf is this?!"

So I download Mozilla and go to the page and it looks like it did on my Dad's windows PC.

Somehow, or why, idk, but Safari changes things and has many problems with myspace.

Just get Firefox!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Recently, weirdly, I've had issues with people's layouts working better on Safari than on FF.... :eek: Specifically layouts where the text spans wider than the browser window, but the css code they put in suppresses the scroll bars... :rolleyes:

I've noticed the re-login thing, but it isn't consistent. Every once in a while MySpace asks me to log in again when it should not have to. But it seems to happen equally on FF and Safari. I think the sad thing is that if you want MySpace to look right, you have to use MSIE on a Windows PC. Because most of the people who are modifying their accounts are using poorly understood, malformed style codes, and "validating" them by making them look right on their own Windows boxes. So the problem is not Safari or FF -- which are much better at rendering proper code according to the standards than MSIE is. The problem is that the code is improper, causing idiosyncratic display, and that weirdness is being tested only in IE by users, and you're stuck with the unpredictable results in FF and Safari.

So ... that problem continues for two basic reasons. First is that IE is not very standards-compliant. Second is that MySpace makes no effort to make profiles comply to any rules of good CSS/HTML. That's just the way it is sadly. Unless / until MySpace changes its engine to keep code clean, it's never going to work correctly.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
EEcuber17 said:
Yeah, I'm a myspace junkie too. Safari used to always change the way people's layouts looked, even mine - cause one day I was surfing around on my Dad's PC and came across my page and it looked hideous! I was like "wtf is this?!"

So I download Mozilla and go to the page and it looks like it did on my Dad's windows PC.

Somehow, or why, idk, but Safari changes things and has many problems with myspace.

Just get Firefox!
It is just a bit unclear how Safari can change your layout if you are using your dad's PC to access MySpace.com.

To the issue at hand, MySpace uses notoriously non-standard HTML. This makes is difficult for standards-compliant browsers like Safari to render MySpace web pages as the author intends.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Users with custom style sheets just force your browser to over-ride MySpace's own by using !important in the tags. The average user on Myspace does not understand CSS, they just copy paste the code into their profile.

This problem is most likely with MySpace. I do not get this problem, however some things I cannot do. I can no longer post in groups for example, I just get sent to the forums home page. Posting image comments does the same also.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I have a very simple solution

don't visit myspace...ever, delete you account (myspace-icide!) and never got back.

ok, no I know some people like it, but as others have said, myspace profiles are typically a mess of horrible coding and that's why certain browsers choke. Also all those embedded .WMV files the kids seem keen on also do a good job of confusing Mac browsers.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dornoforpyros said:
don't visit myspace...ever, delete you account (myspace-icide!) and never got back.

The thing is that MySpace has its pain-in-the-ass qualities, but it brings me closer to friends. And so it's a good investment to me, even though there are so many things wrong with it technically....

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dornoforpyros said:
I have a very simple solution

ok, no I know some people like it, but as others have said, myspace profiles are typically a mess of horrible coding and that's why certain browsers choke. Also all those embedded .WMV files the kids seem keen on also do a good job of confusing Mac browsers.
true dat! furthermore, there can be creeps and/or future employers watching your every move on mspace. want social networking? go outside and talk to your friends. friends lve far away? call 'em up!

no offense to myspace users. its just that ive known people who've gotten in serious trouble with mysace.

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
I've never had any problems with Myspace and Safari and I'm a myspace junkie too. Sometimes its a little slow but I'm fine with that.

I tried Firefox for a little while but I just couldn't get used to it and I just went back to Safari.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
skbodypiercing said:
ok but what about not being able to see the media player with any of the browsers I use

Two major possibilities:

1) You have a problem with your installation of Flash -- the most likely problem. Try re-installing Flash.

2) You are using some sort of ad / flash blocker that is preventing them from loading. But unless you are using the same .css file to block ads in every browser, I have a hard time seeing this as the issue....

skbodypiercing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Japan
mkrishnan said:
Two major possibilities:

1) You have a problem with your installation of Flash -- the most likely problem. Try re-installing Flash.

2) You are using some sort of ad / flash blocker that is preventing them from loading. But unless you are using the same .css file to block ads in every browser, I have a hard time seeing this as the issue....

Ok thank you for the reply.
I have installed flash a couple of times, and when I go to the adobe site it says that I have the most recent version installed.
Also I still cant view more than 1 page without having to sign in again.
I dont know.
I do have Intego virus soft installed, but I can see as how that might affect that. Please help walk me through this.
Thank you

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, sorry, the Flash player comment was for why the music player does not work. Not for why you cannot stay logged in.

It is possible that the virus software is causing the log-in problem. I guess it could even be responsible for blocking certain flash and could be why you are seeing the music player problem.

I don't know how to fix the virus software, though, because I've never used that particular one. I don't use any virus software on my Mac. The reason for me is as follows:

1) At this point there is essentially nothing to look for that runs on OS X -- there have been a few virus-like items, but they have very limited ability to propagate and they don't scare me.

2) You could argue that it helps for Windows viruses. But think about this. Every Windows computer *SHOULD* have anti-virus software on it, purely because they *ARE* vulnerable. If you download a file to a Mac with a virus on it, it cannot propagate to other files on the Mac. If you send it to a Windows computer, the virus goes with it, but the AV on the Windows computer sees it. Which isn't really that much different from the file having been downloaded to the Windows computer to begin with. So it seems to me that there is no net reduction in virus exposure due to running AV on a Mac.

That's just me though....

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
mkrishnan said:
The thing is that MySpace has its pain-in-the-ass qualities, but it brings me closer to friends. And so it's a good investment to me, even though there are so many things wrong with it technically....
The use IIS for one. IIS loves to crap out under load, why MySpace always has problems.

Microsoft never have such problems ad their requests are a lot bigger. Oh. they do use Sun computers with Solaris and Linux. :rolleyes:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
howesey said:
The use IIS for one. IIS loves to crap out under load, why MySpace always has problems.

Microsoft never have such problems ad their requests are a lot bigger. Oh. they do use Sun computers with Solaris and Linux. :rolleyes:

I haven't had any problems with Myspace and Safari. As for Myspace, I think keeping a basic profile is good. I actually had someone contact me I hadn't spoken too since fifth grade.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
Having similar problems...ish

im have some similar problems like safari not being able to handle myspace :confused:

In detail i can login to myspace but the load bar gets about 5/6 loaded and then safari stops responding so i hav to force quit! I thought it was safari but i got firefox to check and it does the same and then i used IE which i still have on because i upgraded from panther. so all of my browsers lock up and force quit when i go to my home page!!!:mad:
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Oh and i loathe going on dads Dell to check my myspace because of this. if dad didnt need it i would be using it as target practice for my shotgun! someone help before i murder the poor defenseless Dell :p

Cheers, Ste

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
21stcenturykid said:
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

The most likely culprit is that you have messy style codes... can you post your myspace page or PM it to one of us so we can see if it crashes the browser for us too? If it does, then you can load it in safe mode and fix it. If not, we can help you find what else the problem might be.

You should be able to use this link to get your own profile in Safe Mode:

http://editprofile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.safemode

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Maybe slightly offtopic, but if you are using myspace, I really recommend Firefox for these 3 reasons:

1, find a really ulgy slow page (shouldnt be too hard), then go to View > Page Style > No Style. This unloads their custom, buggy, or just plain painful CSS coding. You can use a custom CSS for this, e.g. a plain miminal pretty CSS layout.
2, install Flashblock. Now you wont get bugged by 30 different songs all playing at once while browsing profiles
3, install Stop Autoplay for those other pesky files that try to play :)

I like what MySpace can be for Bands/Artists, but when you allow users to express themselves freely, with blatant disregard for design you are entering a world of visual pain :) </rant>

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
mkrishnan said:
The most likely culprit is that you have messy style codes...
The thing is im not even going on my profile im just going on my home page where i check my inbox etc. so there isnt actually any codes there apart from ads that myspace are using i guess. heres my profile anyway

http://www.myspace.com/21stcenturykid

ive tryed to run it in safe mode using that link u gave me mkrishnan and it locked up in exactly the same manner on that page too:confused: what is going on??

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
skbodypiercing said:
I am new to this whole forum thing, so please bare with me.
I hope I am putting this thread in the right catagory.

Anyway, I use MySpace rather frequently, well, I am a junkie.LOL
I really want to use my Safari, well for many reasons. However, if I try to use Safari I seem to have the problem of, once I sign in, there is no problem.
When I go to do ANYTHING else(Click on any other function or page), that where the problem begins. Rather than take me to where it is supposed to it prompts me to sign in again.

Are my settings wrong or what?
Also if I enter the URL for my profile page or anyone elses directly, there is supposed to be music playing. I suppose from the media player.
To try and solve these problems I did several things...I installed another browser.Netscape.That cured my first problem above but the media player still persisits. There is an empty white box where the media player goes.
So I downloaded several types of media players. Still that dosent work.

So I gave up on the media player aspect.

I would like to solve the browser issue. I would like to use Safari. Plus Netscape keeps freezing up.

Is there any solution to my problem. :confused:

i stopped using safari for this reason among others. i think the technical term is suck, as in safari really really sucks. camino or firefox wont give you problems and you can use skins which make it look like safari

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.