Safari and software update just broke

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livingfortoday, May 16, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I have no idea how this happened, but all of a sudden today Safari decided to start loading things incredibly slowly. Like, it takes two minutes to load these forums. That slowly! I don't know why. Firefox is still blazing along fine, I tested Limewire, and it can download at 300kbps with no prob, and I haven't installed or run anything different for a while now.

I rebooted, reset Safari, deleted it's preferences, nothing seems to work.

At the same time, now when I go to run Software Update, it tells me that it timed out and there's a network problem, but there's no problem with my connection that I can see.

Anyone know what's going on? This is a Mac Mini Core Solo, running 10.4.6 with all the latest updates, btw.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it running slowly in other/new user accounts? :)

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I just set up a new account and tried it, and yeah, the same thing is happening there, too.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know Firefox is working well, but maybe reset your router by unplugging it for a minute or so. This should redistribute IPs and might do some good. It's worth a try. :)

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I actually have my computer directly plugged into a cable modem right now. I usually have it in a router, but for the past week I haven't had time to set my router back up so it's been directly hooked up like this. I have reset the modem and whatnot, though, but nothin'. This is a really weird problem.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I can't think what it would be. I'd try reinstalling the 10.4.6 Combo Update with fingers crossed. I'm going out on a limb and don't know if it'll help, but I don't think it'd hurt. :)

7. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried reinstalling the 10.4.6 combined update, and nothing. I even tried hooking up my router, and still no luck. Is there a way to roll back the latest update to 10.4.5?

You know what, I'm gonna repair disk permissions and all that jazz too. I just noticed that my hard drives aren't keeping the same icons, and that's what happened last time I needed to repair them. I will be back in a jiffy.

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

That didn't fix it. I'm also noticing that iTunes is having a heckuva time getting on the music store. the same incredibly slow connection there.

So, I'd say this is affecting all Apple apps, then? Safari, iTunes, Software Update. Maybe I need to reinstall the system?

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Firefox uses it's own method of connecting, which is machine independant. It's damn useful on XP, for when XP gets like this. So the question is what would cause OS X to behave so oddly.

First, let's look at the internet.
    Network>Built in Eathernet>Proxies. See if there's anything there that would do it..Also, play around with the options there. Turn off anything (ie filesharing) that you don't need. Get rid of any extras until you think you have a fix.

Hold down option and click finder until the menu comes up. Hit relaunch. See if that does anything for your icons. It's entirley possible there's a bad file somewhere, you might want to try running Onyx or a similar program to force OS X to clean out the garbage.

10. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

You rock. I was using a proxy set up so that I could log onto my schools library website and download files remotely for class, and apparently they must have screwed something up on their end. I removed the .pac link, and Safari started working like normal again.

Thanks! You're a lifesaver!