Safari and tabbed browsing??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VelvetElegance, Sep 9, 2006.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

OK so I'll readily admit that I am a Mac newbie for forgive me if my question is too plebian...

I just came from the Apple store where I noticed the display Macs were running a version of Safari that supports tabbed browsing. How/Where can I get the version of Safari that supports tabbed browsing?

Currently, I am using version 2.0.4

2. jrk07 macrumors regular

When you have safari open (which I hope you do right now since you are reading this) click on SAFARI --> PREFERENCES --> TABS --> Enable Tabbed browsing.

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I really wish Apple would enable tabbed browsing in Safari by default. I've seen this question asked time and time again.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

in the preference panel, you can enable tab browsing, and cmd+click to open link in new tab instead of new window.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its ok, since safari can not open new tab instead of new window by clicking the link, even after you enable tabbed browsing function, so you can see apple doesn't intend to let user to use tabbed browsing a lot anyway.

6. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

When I click Safari--> Preferences I only get an Appearance box.. It doesn't give me any other options

7. jrk07 macrumors regular

Hmmm, that is very odd. I am also running 2.0.4. Any ideas anybody?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Click the "pill" in the top-right corner of the Preferences window.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is a little jellybean at the top right of the preferences window. Click that and see if it makes a toolbar appear.

10. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much!!! It worked!!

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

errrrr...... you are really new :D

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Really a greenhorn...

But we'll help you along. Just keep on posting questions.

13. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...and Yes, I am quite new. I've only been back on the Mac full time a little more than a year now. My first computer was an Apple II C and then I had the Mac Classic..But when Windows 95 came out, I switched..When the Mac Mini came out I switched back..I have all the books about I life and OSX I can fit on my shelves and I am trying to get up to speed again. I've found these boards to be quite helpful.

14. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

That little "pill" causes a lot of confusion to a a of people in more programs than just Safari, so there is definitely no need to worry about being feeling new or anything. Good luck getting to know your Mac and welcome to the forums!

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Erm, if it's a link that's set to open a new window, command-clicking on it will indeed open it in a new tab, unless it's a script that creates a popup.