Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Turned off both smart settings and this happens when I search. Does it happen to you?

Thanks you for checking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 174

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It keeps showing top hit etc. I don't want it to populate anything for me when I search.

I don't think there's an option for that.

The Top Hits listed are either bookmarks or sites you visited before.

The "Preload" option would mean that Safari would start loading the page to save time.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I don't think there's an option for that.

The Top Hits listed are either bookmarks or sites you visited before.

The "Preload" option would mean that Safari would start loading the page to save time.

Hmm I think you are mistaken. The option to turn off top hit and search suggestions exists and its in the screenshot above.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hmm I think you are mistaken. The option to turn off top hit and search suggestions exists and its in the screenshot above.

"Search suggestions" refers to asking your selected search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing) to suggest results as you type.

"Preload top hit" will make Safari automatically load whatever the top hit is to save time. It doesn't control what's shown in the list.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
"Search suggestions" refers to asking your selected search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing) to suggest results as you type.

"Preload top hit" will make Safari automatically load whatever the top hit is to save time. It doesn't control what's shown in the list.

Right. And when I turn preload top hit off, it should no longer preload top hit like its doing.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Right. And when I turn preload top hit off, it should no longer preload top hit like its doing.

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Preloading refers to actually connecting to the web site and downloading the content on it in the background. When you click the link, it should then be partially loaded, meaning that it doesn't take as long to load.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Preloading refers to actually connecting to the web site and downloading the content on it in the background. When you click the link, it should then be partially loaded, meaning that it doesn't take as long to load.

So I have to deal with safari using what I type as an assumption of where I'm going? Meaning, now when I type Sounders, it tries to make me go to the website where as before I just searched Sounders and it took me to google.

I don't know if that makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.