Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Lately, I've been seeing this message an awful lot lately on the MacRumors message boards -- in fact, on nearly every link click or post. I've seen this message before, it seems to come in waves. As far as I can tell, it only happens here. Any explanations?

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2420893&posted=1#post2420893”. The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011) Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Haven't seen that message at all, and I only run Safari.

Did you do a dev kit or build an alternate version of Safari? Naughty plug-ins?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
yellow said:
Haven't seen that message at all, and I only run Safari.

Did you do a dev kit or build an alternate version of Safari? Naughty plug-ins?

Nope. I activated the Debug menu a long time ago, but I don't think that counts as naughtiness.

I'm mystified by the meaning of this message, and why I see it for significant stretches, then not at all for a long time -- and AFAIK, only here!

Reloading the page always work, BTW. Even more mystery!

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I've actually seen that error message on a few different sites, not just MacRumors. I had seen it quite a bit in the past, but then Apple fixed it with one of their system updates. It seems like it is back again now ever since the last security update. Hopefully they will fix it again soon.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmm.. I too have the Debug menu on (all my boxes) and am fully up to date and still haven't seen this.

This is from left field.. How fast is your connection? Perhaps Safari expects an answer faster than the server is able to serve it? Though I guess not, I was surfing MR from bed the last week or so and I only have dial-up at home.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I haven't installed the most recent security update.

As for my net connection, it averages 1.3-1.4 kbps down.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've seen it often, mainly on this site (then again, I am mainly on this site...).

I have Debug enabled as well as PithHelmet, which might be to blame.

All updates have been installed.

And IJ Reilly... did you really mean "1.3-1.4 kbps"?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Dude.. you cursed me..

Attachments

• Safari.jpg
    Safari.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 71

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
IJ Reilly said:
Lately, I've been seeing this message an awful lot lately on the MacRumors message boards -- in fact, on nearly every link click or post. I've seen this message before, it seems to come in waves. As far as I can tell, it only happens here. Any explanations?
Works fine here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.