Safari - Can it automatically html text for us?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FunBoy50, Sep 23, 2006.

1. FunBoy50 macrumors newbie

I just starting thinking that it'd be wicked if Safari could automatically turn web links that you type into it into hyper-links that will be visible and clickable on forums and myspace messages etc by the recipient.

I don't know if there is a way this can be done, or if we must still surround the text with the code ourselves, but i think it would be a neat feature.

Anyone know if there is anything that does it or something similar?

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

If it is a properly formed standard URL, then you can highlight it then right-click then Go To This Address or something.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This is already a forum feature, and is enabled by default at MacRumors.

It's controlled by the "Automatically parse links in text" checkbox you see under Additional Options in the Reply to Topic window.

If you type a URL like http://www.apple.com/ (as I just did) without adding any tags, it will be changed to a clickable link when you click Preview Post or Submit Reply (as you can see it did in this paragraph).

4. FunBoy50 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i realise that this and other forums do automatically turn stuff into hyperlinks, but thats not what i'm trying to achieve...

its for the less good forums and myspace where you have to type the code out to make things work that i'm trying to find a time saver for... any ideas?

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sounds like a good place for a widget, macro, tiny AppleScript, etc..

The interface could be as simple as a single button which, when clicked, would take a URL in the clipboard, add the necessary markup, and put the result back in the clipboard. For example, you'd highlight the URL you wanted to use, copy, invoke the widget/macro/script/program/whatever, click the "Add Markup" button, quit, and paste.

The question is whether somebody has written such a thing.