Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Osaka, Japan
Hi,
I just moved to Japan last week. At the moment, we are piggybacking a connection from someone's internet connection in our apartment building. When I try, for example, http://www.google.com, it automatically goes to http://www.google.co.jp - it seems I cannot type in google.com without getting the japanese site showing up. This is the same with some other sites as well.

Anyone know what this could be?? Is this normol...?

Thanks for any tips or solutions,

Shiv

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, it's normal. It has nothing to do with Safari. Either Google and/or your ISP (my guess would be Google) are redirecting you to the Japanese versions of the websites because you have a Japanese IP address. The idea is that it reduces cultural hegemony on the internet. That is, otherwise, Japanese and British and so on would have to do everything as google.co.jp and yahoo.co.uk or whatever. So sites detect your address and feed you to your country's homepage. Except of course that in your case, you don't read (it seems) your country's language.

Many sites let you pick a country on the splash page and then save it. Otherwise also if you have accounts with the sites (e.g. if you have a GMail account with Google), when you are logged in with your account, it should override the country bias and take you to the national site for the nation you lived in when you made the account....

shiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Osaka, Japan
That makes so much sense!
My gmail works fine. That's one thing my wife was worried about, that the gmail would also start redirecting us to a japanese version.

Thanks for the info, that saves us the concern of it being something else!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You might also be able to find proxy service in the US (which means that you act through a secondary server with an IP address in the US or wherever, so that everyone thinks you're coming from there also), but it probably would not be free. I can't think of an easy way to make your computer look like it is logging in from the US or another country otherwise, though... good luck!

shiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Osaka, Japan
I think the healthiest solution at this point is we have to start really picking up on our kanji!

Thanks for the help and tips!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think the healthiest solution at this point is we have to start really picking up on our kanji!

Thanks for the help and tips!

Change Mac OS X to Japanese and you'll soon become accustomed to it--sink or swim, ne?

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
change your DNS to a US DNS server..i.e. 4.2.2.2 or 4.2.2.1 they are both US DNS Servers run by Verizon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.