safari & cmd+C

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phaeton, Jul 10, 2003.

1. phaeton macrumors newbie

May 20, 2003
    when copying text from a website in safari to textedit, texts shows completly messed up (with tabs and spaces between words, unintended pagebreaks, ...)

i have noticed that explorer handles this better...

is this a bug? or just a "we will not do it because they do"-thing?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    mine keeps it formatted fine, can you try a different text editing program like word or apple works and see if it does it in there?

Attached Files:

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    i've seen it happen but only when pasting to another HTML document. as in, i could see all the messed up breaks and stuff AFTER i published it and viewed it in a browser. is that the case here or is it just plain old text at the end?
  4. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001
    Re: safari & cmd+C

What I find frequently annoying is how, if I have text selected, when I shift click somewhere else it doesn't extend the selcetion, just cancels what I have. It seems like this is standard functionality on a Mac. Every time I try to do this and fail my mind does little backflips.
  5. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Safari will copy the html formatted text. So it will bring over breaks in the lines if they are in the coded html. No problems here.

To test it, do a reply, right a few sentences, return, make a new paragraph, etc and copy paste it. You'll see it pasted the exact way you wrote it. However, html is not written exactly like unformatted text in an open text box is. IE doesn't catch the html formatting I believe, which I think shows Safari is superior.
  6. phaeton thread starter macrumors newbie

May 20, 2003

just made this shot as an example.

if you are copying long texts it gets rather annoying than superior because you have to tidy it up alot

btw... happens in all kinds of texteditors.. something with tables maybe?

(if you wonder:

try it for yourself)

(the lower one's safari)

Attached Files: