Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I've designed a site where the colors are off in Safari yet look fine in all other browsers. I've not found a solution to this yet and wondered if anyone knew if there was a setting in Photoshop that can help here.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum <--- see header

khaos34

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006
I'm sorry, but could you please state what exactly is wrong? The colors don't seem off to me at first glance. Thanks!

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

The block with the logos on it in the header is richer color than that it is supposed to blend in with around it. Same for the footers on the right.

At least this is the case on my copy of Safari 2.0.3.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
head_mid_banner.jpg is, well, a JPEG, and it's been given sRGB (windows) color space. and you're trying to match this to header_mid_banner_bg.gif, which is just going to use raw RGB values. Bad move.

If you want to use raw RGB values, use raw RGB values and don't try to mix those with image types that offer color correction hints. Safari is actually trying to follow the instructions you gave it, not all browsers bother.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
iMeowbot said:
head_mid_banner.jpg is, well, a JPEG, and it's been given sRGB (windows) color space. and you're trying to match this to header_mid_banner_bg.gif, which is just going to use raw RGB values. Bad move.

If you want to use raw RGB values, use raw RGB values and don't try to mix those with image types that offer color correction hints. Safari is actually trying to follow the instructions you gave it, not all browsers bother.

I'm not sure I follow but you are saying that I need to save the head_mid_banner file with raw RGB values? I don't know if I've ever done that but I assume that is something which can be done with setting in Photoshop.

Any idea as to how this is done? Thanks.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
TitanJeff said:
I'm not sure I follow but you are saying that I need to save the head_mid_banner file with raw RGB values? I don't know if I've ever done that but I assume that is something which can be done with setting in Photoshop.

Any idea as to how this is done? Thanks.

The short answer is that JPEG is trouble if you want to match colors with image types like GIF that don't have color profile extensions, you would be better off using the same image type (say, GIF for all pieces) through the region you want to match.

If you still want to try to mix GIF and JPEG, you can fart around and get it to work. If you are using Photoshop's Save For Web, there weill be a little control near the top of the preview window that, when pressed, will bring down a correction menu. If saving as You will have a choice of uncompensated, Windows, Mac, etc. With trial and error you may find one that works across browsers (uncompensated is a good starting point). If you are using ImageReady, you won't want to include the profile or metadata.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.