Safari completely broken after 10.11.3 update

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by bcodemz, Jan 27, 2016.

1. bcodemz macrumors member

I just updated to OS X 10.11.3 from software updates, and my Safari is almost completely broken. When I create a new tab it doesn't show up. When I enter something on the URL bar, there is no auto-complete, and the URL shows up both centered and left aligned in the URL bar. Many pages, including Google will not load from the URL bar. I've tried quitting Safari and restarting, but it is the same thing. Any help? This is a huge problem.

Thanks

2. jenspeaks macrumors newbie

jenspeaks

3. bugmancx macrumors newbie

Confirmed. I logged an Apple bug report: #24364513, but who knows when they will see it.

4. JackBauer24 macrumors newbie

I am having this problem on 10.11.2

Disabling 'search engine suggestions' in Prefs seems to fix it.

5. theriddler macrumors member

The autocomplete works in Incognito mode.

Anyone else had AJAX websites not load when you click something or scroll down? Been having this issue since Yosemite.

6. quackers82 macrumors 6502

I don't think its the update, I'm seeing it here on multiple Macs using 10.10.5 and iPads on iOS 9. I know of another place thats seeing this issue too. So not sure what it is. Only happening today.

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I've been using 10.10.3 since release and this issue has just happened now. I imagine the autocomplete might be talking to iCloud so there's an issue there..

Though the tab interface is all screwed too. Who knows. Was fine yesterday.

8. quackers82 macrumors 6502

I went to System Preferences -> iCloud and signed out and the problem went away.

EDIT: Nope it came back :(
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2016 ---
    Somebody on twitter has the fix https://twitter.com/search?q=safari&src=typd turn off Safari Suggestions.

9. AnTaR3s macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

I am on 10.11.3 and disabling search engine suggestions fixed it for me. Thanks!

10. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

70% of our Macs in our office have this issue, kind of wiped us out this morning. As mentioned above fixes are disabling search suggestions and also Private Browsing as well.

11. Airmaxone macrumors newbie

It was working fine today until this happened.What's happening?

[​IMG]

12. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Indeed @Airmaxone, yesterday it was fine. Today it's just stopped working. Most inconvenient.

13. solidsn2004 macrumors newbie

Guys I have the same problem here! It was working fine last night but it stopped working this morning!
    I did a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software and it found a few viruses in the safari libraries and I removed them but the problem persists! I can't click on the search bar unless I am in incognito mode and I can't open new tabs (it looks like it's opening a new invisible window instead of a tab but I still can't type inside the search bar).

I also noticed that safari on my iPhone 6 doesn't work either! When I click on the address bar the app crashes!

What is causing this? It's really weird!!!

14. rcooked macrumors newbie

Driving me nuts as well. Always enjoyed the Safari experience, but going to have to run with Chrome until fixed. It's basically unusable....

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This just raised its ugly head on my mac. I thought it was perhaps a bad plist, or plug-in but after mucking around with it this morning, I can say its none of those.

The Safai suggestions may have been what fixed this, as I turned off a bunch of stuff and its now working

16. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Yep, seems to be the case. Looks like an issue with Apples servers.

17. Hpotsirhc macrumors newbie

THANX!

OS X 10.11.2 safari 9.0.2. This helped me as well. Find it at preferences -> search

18. A.Chakery macrumors member

I wish that I saw this topic earlier ... I fully reset my safari because of this issue ...

Thank you... this solution solved my problem as well.

19. Sabretooth78 macrumors member

Sabretooth78

Just noticed similar issues last night myself - and just before updating to x.x.3, too - the address bar would get all goofy as in post #11 (though not quite as unreadable) and that particular Safari window would stop accepting keyboard input, either in the address bar or any forms on the page. I first thought it might be my keyboard, but the USB keyboard wouldn't work either. Shortcuts such as cmd-w and cmd-n would still work though. Any new Safari window would then work properly - for a while. I'll try the fix this evening.

"It just works."

20. rowdt1 macrumors regular

It isn't the update. I had the same issues before the update as well. I had hoped the update would fix the issue, but it didn't. The tips mentioned above did help though.

21. A.Chakery macrumors member

Maybe not relevant but I faced an another issue with this version of Safari which is about installing extensions that is not supported by apple ext. gallery :

Since I didn't want to distract the main topic here , I created an another topic about it (HERE)

22. Barnclos macrumors newbie

Barnclos

Me too: 'return' not working and double entries on the address bar. Started after updating to 10.11.3 (although others' evidence suggests that isn't necessarily the cause).

Switching off 'Include search engine suggestions' fixed it.

23. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

24. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Any idea what triggers this problem? I haven't seen it on any of our four iOS devices or three Macs.