Safari Continues To Gain Market Share

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amac4me, Apr 17, 2006.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Good to see Firefox above 10%, admirable.

As for Safari, I'm surprised to be honest. I take it that's in the US? I don't think the UK footprint is anywhere near as big. Personally I'm a Camino fan :p I'd be very happy if, say, Apple were to get serious with Mozilla about developing an integrated browser - I think Safari is a massive turn-off for switchers.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

And here I thought I was the only one who didn't like Safari.

Safari has one thing going for it that Firefox doesn't on my Dual G5: speed. Seriously, Firefox is just awful slow when it comes to graphics rendering. Go to ESPN.com, load the front page, and then scroll down. It stutters on my machine! I even tried the G5-compiled builds of Firefox; better, but still not as smooth as Safari.

Been ages since I tried Camino.

I love Firefox 95%+ of the time; if they could fix that slowness I'd be soooo happy.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I am surprised that Safari is 3rd.

I thought it'd be at least 5th and at the very least below Mozilla or Netscape.

5. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

That was surprising for me - in the sense that safari only has 3% market share! I expected at least 10%, but maybe that's just because I use safari:D
    IE is not surprising at 84%. It's a s*@& browser but hardly anyone is aware of alternative browsers, which is quite sad. I'm a little surprised it is not losing any market share, and has a pretty stable market share atm.
    Also, why does everyone here hate Safari? I used firefox back on window$, but prefer safari now by far, as it's UI is a lot more elegant. I don't notice any speed difference either.
    Anyway, that's just my rant. Over and out.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How could Safari have 10% market share when only ~5% of people use Macs?

7. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Only!? Never knew that. Out of interest, where can you get OS market share info?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For the record, even though I am surprised Safari has such a large market share, Safari is my favorite browser.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, here's one measure...

10. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

hahahah ...he said netscape. I don't find it shocking at all that Safari is #3. It is the default browser in OS X. Most people stick with the default ...look at IE, it certainly isn't Quality that matters!

...posting from Safari ;)

11. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Thanks. I should have realised earlier as I've been to this site loads of times, but never found OS market share.

12. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Although I am not a big fan of Safari, this does bode well for apple. Simply if Safari share is increasing one can safely say that Apple market shar is increasing as well since Safari can only be used on Apple machines.

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, it's based on actual site hits, so while Windows may have a larger installed base, if they're not all online using IE that leaves a hole that the Mac (Safari) users fill.

Still, your point is taken; considering the figures we're discussing, that's a pretty huge discrepancy and makes me question the validity of the stats.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't understand what discrepancy you're talking about. The linked web site shows Macs with a little over 4% total market share and Safari at a little over 3%. That makes sense to me.

My comment was directed at G99, who "expected" Safari's market share to be around 10%.

15. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

I like the idea about Apple + Mozilla. An Apple intergrated Firefox would be amazing.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Heh. LOL! Somehow my brain translated the chart that I looked at and your quote that current Safari use is at 10% :D

Move on, nothing to see here but a crazy man... :)